Cutworms

Old 05-14-13, 12:21 PM
Cutworms

In nearly 30 years of growing tomatoes I've never had a cutworm problem. A couple of days ago I had a couple of tomato plants chopped off at the soil line. I just put collars around all my tomato and pepper plants.

My question - are there any other plants that I should be concerned about? I have broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts in the same bed.

If the collars don't work what's the best treatment?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Sure it was a cutworm and not a rabbit?

Old 05-14-13, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah take a pic..... How big are the tomatos??? Often its ants believe it or not. They hit the stems looking for water and cut them down. Earwigs are an issue too, but with the cabbage/eggplant type plants...

My eggplants and cucumbers are gone. Cut right at the stem and wilted over.... Lost cause...

Peppers are thriving as well as all my lettuce/carrots and such....

Old 05-15-13, 04:17 AM
I guess its moot now. We had an unexpected heavy frost last night. No warning from the weather guessers, low temps (32*) set a record. The forecast low for last night was 45*. I'll probably lose all my tomato plants. They've only been in the ground since last Saturday.

The original damage was not done by any critters, my garden is fenced. I haven't seen any ants around the plants. They were cut off right at ground level. From what I read that's a classic cutworm indicator.

Old 05-15-13, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
They were cut off right at ground level. From what I read that's a classic cutworm indicator.
I would check on the flying squirrel populations in your area.......