Shopping For New Garden Hose

Old 06-26-13, 05:17 PM
Question Shopping For New Garden Hose

I bought the new green hose that is flexible and shrivels up when you shut the water off. I think its called a Pocket Hose. I bought it at Walgreens for $19.99. I actually bought 3 of them. I exchanged one because it leaked at the fitting and I'm about to take another one back as it leaked right out of the package. Its 50' and I really like it. But,
I want to buy a real hose. These hoses may go belly up before I can get them returned. I kept my receipts.

I'm looking for a light-weight, inexpensive 100' hose. I'd like one that doesn't feel like it weighs 100 lbs. But I also don't want it so cheap it kinks or gives me problems.
Why are there 1/2" and 5/8" hoses? What's the advantage/disadvantages?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Best off buying better hoses... Yes the heavy ones... Mine are going on 10 years now. The cheap kind kink and are a PITA IMO....

I did hack off the ends and replace after the press fittings started leaking but the hoses are still in great shape..

Did I say roll them up properly when done??? Yes will extend the life from my experience..

1/2 or 5/8??? The 5/8 are the better hoses from what I have seen.. The 1/2 I assume will give you better pressure though...

I think its called a Pocket Hose. I bought it at Walgreens for $19.99. I actually bought 3 of them. I exchanged one because it leaked at the fitting and I'm about to take another one back as it leaked right out of the package.
What a shame so many people fell for these pieces of junk hoses... many, many returns from what I read...All leaking issues... They made thier mony I am sure.. How many people that dont return them...

I have the apex here...

Garden Hoses - Watering & Irrigation - Garden Center - Outdoors at The Home Depot

Old 06-26-13, 05:59 PM
A 5/8" is usually a good size, carries a good amount of water and there are a wider range of materials and constructions in that size. I have a 50' that does not kink. I have more than enough pressure so it is usually throttled down quite a bit. I bought it at an Ace hardware store because they had a much wider selection of materials. Even with a 50' hose, storage can be a slight problem and I have a 50' "toy" hose that usually does the job and stores easily. - A good 100' hose is not easy to live with. 2 - 50' hoses may be a better choice where could be wrestling with a shorter hose for most uses may work for you.

So far this year, I should have used them to siphon water away.

Dick

Old 06-27-13, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'll see what I can find.