white pine tree issue

Old 07-05-13, 04:29 PM
white pine tree issue

This is the second white pine tree ( three foot tall), grew each year and then each of these at some point became lighter in color, then took on a tannish color and finally every needle went from green to brown. Replaced one last fall and now another one has just begun this change..........any idea what would cause a very healthy and bushy white pine tree to die like this? I am baffled.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-13, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
What are you planting them in? What soil? ( I mix a compost with my new trees. )

Are you fertilizing them? Water schedule?

Old 07-05-13, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And until they have their first year's defoliation, they will need a rather acid soil. Their own needles will provide that in future years. As Mike said, watering and soil amendments like compost are important.

Old 07-05-13, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Around here it was drought and heat. It even killed a lot of well established trees.

Old 07-06-13, 03:51 AM
All the pines were planted in a soil that does have a clay content but have all grown well, original ones in the outside row are now twenty feet. This next row are around 2-3 feet, all get good watering on a regular basis especially when we have a dry spell and do lightly fertilize but not sure that made any difference since the first row grew so large. I just don't get why a tree doing well begins to fade in color and then it is tan and then it winds up loosing all its needles!