pansies spent?

Old 07-18-13, 11:03 AM
pansies spent?

Two or three months ago these pansies were planted around in the planters, you know the kind you buy from the garden store ready to plant. They have good dirt and decent nutrition/fertilizer. They grew nicely and were colorful and healthy looking but now the look like the photo below. What should be done, just yank em out now and figure that's it for the year. Or leave them in and maybe they grow back next year, or get better somehow again this year? Trim em, prune em, anything like that to make em grow nicer again? They're ugly now.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you been watering them regularly? adding any miracle gro? We got pansys in pots on each side of the front porch steps and excluding where the rain knocked them down a little bit ago - they still look good. When my wife doesn't rip them out in the fall, I've had them come back in the spring and look good the following year.

Old 07-18-13, 04:00 PM
It rains quite often here (SE Alaska) even in the summertime. Haven't really been bothering to water them. No haven't been adding Miracle Gro. I suppose that's why the look crappy I dont know. They cost enough, thats for sure, and only last two months. Think I wont bother with them again.

Old 07-18-13, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
I've had good luck with them but I do water quite often, they need it much more often than I thought they would. I've always removed them early the next spring to ready the soil for something else; never tried to see if they would regrow.

Old 07-18-13, 04:23 PM
I wonder if they'd "rejuvenate" if I started watering them often (when it seems the soil is on the dry side) and giving them Miracle Gro. Or probably too late for the TLC now?

Old 07-18-13, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
A couple of them look like they might respond but a couple of them also look like they might not.

Old 07-18-13, 04:41 PM
I took a good look/feel of the soil. It's plenty moist still, from relatively recent rains. Obviously do not need watering, now anyway. Somebody was saying maybe to "deadhead" them, pinch the dead looking parts off at the points where they branch out from below, maybe trim the dead ones down low almost to ground level and there is still a chance they might regrow/rebloom again by late August.

Old 07-18-13, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
I planted them last year, and I didn't have any more luck with them than you did.
I gave them plenty of water, and they still looked like yours (maybe worse ).

They never grew back either.

Old 07-18-13, 05:25 PM
I rarely have luck with the plants I want to grow. I think they sense I don't like them to begin with. The weeds seem to like me though, apparently.

Old 07-23-13, 09:36 AM
Try putting them in the shade. Pansies hate heat. They wont live past May around here.

Old 07-23-13, 10:19 AM
Try putting them in the shade. Pansies hate heat. They wont live past May around here.
Okay thanks. Doesn't get near as hot here at my location (SE Alaska) as it does in yours (TX), but we do in the summertime have our share of sun. I really just don't think pansies was a good choice at all for these half-barrel type planters we have all around our big deck, and certainly will try something else instead in the future for these.

Old 08-05-13, 05:52 PM
The crazy amount of sun you get up there could certainly do it (it's not just the heat). You can probably bring a couple of them back to life with some fertilizer and water, but I'd move them to a more shaded spot first. I'd also cut off the thoroughly dead portions.
You should be able to grow them very well, as they'll appreciate the slightly cooler summer, but you might want to have them in something you can more easily move around as the sun angle adjusts, to keep them in some shade.

Old 08-06-13, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, I just noticed last night my pansies from last year came up again in the last couple weeks - I never got around to planting anything in the container this year and just happened to walk by it last night and saw about a half dozen flowers.