Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

What can I start to grow outside end of August?

What can I start to grow outside end of August?

Old 08-20-13, 12:17 AM
Question What can I start to grow outside end of August?

I want to start a garden but I dont know what you can start to grow at the end of August that can survive outside this time of year in Michigan. Someone who knows what I can start with let me know thanks Cassandra

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 02:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cassandra, welcome to the forums! Most cole crops....brocolli, brussel sprouts, etc. will stand a touch of frost. You'll need to have something with a 60 day growth cycle, as I am sure your colder weather will start sooner than ours. You may not eat them up north, but the best thing I plant in August is collard greens. I never pick them until after the first frost. The frost tries to kill the plant, and the plant recognizes this and produces sugar to stave it off. This sugar goes to the leaves, and the sweetness is no comparison to early crop collards.

Old 08-20-13, 05:19 AM
Good for you, seriously. I work full time, and am involved in a number of other activities, so often get behind on some of my own things, but the garden is the one thing that we stay on top of, because it is so enjoyable. Nurturing the seeds and/or small plants turn into fresh vegetables is very rewarding. And there's nothing better to unwind at the end of a long day than spending a few minutes walking the rows with a hoe or cultivator, grooming your garden, or simly pulling up a chair and watching it grow. But, unfortunately, it's a bit late to plant anything this year. I assume that you are in the bottom half of the lower, as are we, or else you wouldn't even be considering it. We planted our garden May 18th and 19th, 3 months ago, and are right in the middle of the optimal harvest. We're picking fresh squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. daily, and the potatoes are getting close, but still have a couple of weeks to go. Even being pretty much on schedule though, the evening have been cool enough that the dew has caused small amounts of fungus to develop on some of the broad leaves. No damage to the crop, but the point being that within the next 60 days even, the nights are going to be significantly cooler, and this is the type of issue that you would contend with. 60 days is a tight window to start with, but throw in the cooler nights, the sun working it's way back to the equator, etc., and it's really not a good time to start actually planting. One thing that you could do now though that you will learn to appreciate later, is to get a soil sample from your garden, and have it tested. I like to take a small scoop from say three or four spots, just to make sure that you have a good test, mix it together, and take something like half a coffee cup worth to the local extension service, soil conservation, or whatever. Your local grain mill or nursery can advise you on that. Then, when you get the report back, within a couple of weeks usually, read it, and see what you can do to get started. Maybe still nothing to do until sping, but say for example that they suggest adding compost or whatever, again, ask locally, but it may be that you might want to work in straw or other components now, in order for them to enrich the soil. Then, in the spring, plan ahead, get your stakes ready, get to the mill, nursery, or wherever early, and have your seeds and plants ready. I typically shoot for planting about Memorial Day, in order to avoid late frosts, but nowadays you can look at the long range weather forecasts, and like we did this year, possibly move it up a bit. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 08-20-13, 10:53 AM
Hi, I'm pretty sure if you can find some hybrid seeds that some of those plants have a 45 day to pick,"i could be wrong"- but as the others said with the sun light fading earlier it will be close, throw some in what do you have to lose if any thing they will be alittle smaller but you might get something.also if you like garlic you can plant that in the fall and pick in the spring. good luck

Old 08-24-13, 05:40 AM
Fall Gardening

Don't forget the turnips.