Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Ideas for garden - attracting hummingbirds - climbing vine?

Old 08-24-13, 05:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I started a flower garden this year and am looking for ideas on what to do next with it. My goal is to add some height to the background and also attract hummingbirds and butterflies... without attracting any more bees than I already have.

Below is a picture of what it looks like now. The two dark bushes in back are "spilled wine" weigela, flanked on left and right (just off picture) by two really tall evergreen shrubs. I have six mini rose bushes in the middle row, and in front are 30 or so daffodils. The garden is situated against the side of my garage, facing due east, and except for the temporary filtered shade of a small oak tree, it gets full sun all morning until early afternoon when the house casts it into shade.

Name:  flower_garden_resized.jpg
Views: 5828
Size:  50.5 KB

I'm thinking of erecting a tall (8-10 ft) white trellis between the windows, about 6 inches away from the side of the house, and have a vine climbing it. Since the weigela and daffodils only bloom in spring, I would love the vine to be something that blooms throughout mid to late summer, like the trumpet vine. That way I could have hummers and butterflies all summer!

A few questions I have:

1. Does anyone else in zone 5-6 or the Great Lakes region have advice about growing trumpet vines (or any other flowering vine)? Is it true that it won't bloom until the second year?

2. I heard that climbers can be rather destructive on buildings. Should I have any concerns for my vinyl siding?

3. Any other suggestions for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies? I really do want my trellis but I could maybe do potted plants attached to the trellis at varying heights, instead of a climbing vine.

Old 08-25-13, 12:09 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I know almost nothing about gardening but I do know that bees, butterflies and hummingbirds ALL look for flowers that contain nectar. I doubt that there are any plants that will attract butterflies and hummers and not also attract bees.

Something to consider is whether or not a particular plant is native to the area or may be classified as a noxious weed. Buddleia, sometimes called butterfly bush, is often recommended to attract butterflies but in my are it is classified as a noxious weed and it is therefore strongly recommended to not be planted.

Whatever you do, do NOT plant too close to the house as the plants will grow against the siding and that will be detrimental to the house.

As far as vines go, I have to deal with English Ivy and Field Bindweed (Wild Morning Glory) and they are two of the most tenacious and noxious weeds in my area. I DETEST all forms of ivy. Once an ivy takes root is is almost impossible to get rid of it and even control is a full-time job.

Old 08-25-13, 02:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Joel that planting too closely to the house will be problematic. 6" is way too close. In fact, look forward to removing the two trees on either side in a few years, as they will begin to grow into your garage siding. They should have never been planted so close to it. Not sure of the viability of the plant in your area, but a nice vine to attract things is clematis. It dies back every year, but comes back in full vengeance each year providing nice flowers for hummers and butterflies....and bees.

Check with your local County Extension Service to see what plants are native to your area, that are not noxious. They are a world of knowledge for your particular area.

Old 08-25-13, 05:38 AM
F
I agree that you may want to reconsider any vine that has its sticky feet actually attach itself to your siding. I live in the Great Lakes Region. I often see clematis used as a nice climber but they don't flower in late summer.

I have plenty of butterflys and hummingbirds visit my gardens. They seem very attracted to Tall phlox and Tall zinnia. Both are very easy to grow. The phlox will stand as tall as the bottom of the window and has a strong lovely scent. They are also perennial. They are currently in full bloom and would make a lovely backdrop in a butterfly garden.

I've often found it curious how different zones think of awell loved flower here as a invasive species there.
I have heard that Butterfly bush is an invasive noxious weed IN THE SOUTH. Up here, it is difficult to encourage to regrow, BUT the butterflys and hummers just love it.
I have managed to have a one or two branches re grow for the past 4 seasons.. But it certainly doesn't spread the way golden rod does. I have seen gardening books where they encourage the use of that stuff as a back drop and up here it is extremely invasive.

Morning glorys too. Although their ropy vines grow quickly, they die off with the first hard frost and their abundant seeds cannot overwinter.

Good luck with your choices...and by the way, I think the weigela bushes are way too close together. You must think of mature spread in a few years time. I'd shift them out while its still easy

Old 08-25-13, 05:41 AM
F
By the way the bees are an essential creature to our very survival. Left on their own, they just want to gather nectar and move on with their day. Leave them alone and they in turn will leave you alone.

Old 08-25-13, 09:32 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Butterfly bushes draw in both butterflies and hummers. They look for anything where they can get nectar.

A hummingbird feeder with the proper sugar/water mix is a good draw. We have 6 -8 little guys around ours this year. They are fun to watch.

Old 09-02-13, 07:52 AM
J
Thanks everyone for your replies. Now I'm even more unsure about what to do than before haha!

fairplay - I find it interesting that you mention my weigelas are too close together. I think they're supposed to grow maximum 3-4' tall and wide, and I have them spaced about 3' from each other. If I move them much farther away from each other they'll be closer to the evergreen shrubs than they are to each other.

So far the evergreens aren't touching the house at all and they're a good 12' tall, so I'm not terribly worried about them getting under the siding. I'd love to trim them back a little because they're taller than the roof line, but I'm not sure how to go about it. In general I have to learn how and when to trim back all the bushes in my yard.

I like the idea of a climbing vine that "dies off" and regrows each year, as opposed to something that continues to spread year upon year, so the morning glory idea appeals to me. Don't they want full sun all day though? This garden probably only gets 4 hours of direct unfiltered sunlight.

Old 09-02-13, 11:16 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh I'd love to see hummingbirds visiting my garden too. I am just a bit concern about the plants that are know to attract them has an invasive reputation. Here's what I gathered.

10 Flowers Commonly Used for Attracting Hummingbirds:

Bee Balm
Red Columbine
Delphinium and Hollyhock
Butterfly Bush (invasive in some cases)
Catawba Rhododendron
Rose of Sharon
Trumpet Vine and Japanese Honeysuckle (both, unfortunately, invasive)
Cardinal Vine
Lantana and Fuchsia
Silk Tree (unfortunately, invasive)

Old 09-02-13, 04:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Seriously research morning glories before planting any. They are pretty but once you have them you'll never get rid of them. Their seeds, which are easily spread, can lay dormant for years before germinating, so far five years later and still reappearing at my house . As for hummingbirds they are mostly closed for much of the day and are not prized by the birds.

Butterfly bush does well here in NC in a north side location that only receives morning sun. I've not had trouble with it spreading but it's a monstrous bush. Chopped to the ground every year it's 7 feet tall and 12-14 feet across by mid summer and it's branches are easily damaged by thunderstorms though the bush does not seem to mind it much. And, of course the hummingbirds and butterflies love it.

Old 09-02-13, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'll vouch for the columbine, butterfly bush and trumpet vine. Those are the 3 that I was going to mention. There is Common Ladybells, various Penstemon, Salvia and Phlox varieties too. Trumpet vine is bad for spreading into unwanted areas and its hard to kill. I can't keep it out of my corn field!

Having a hummingbird feeder around is important... if they can't find anything else... or if it isn't blooming when they pass by, at least the feeder might entice them to stop by... or keep coming to check. I've heard you want to keep the sugar water fresh daily, if possible.

Old 09-02-13, 06:13 PM
J
Columbine sure is a beautiful flower and I know people who successfully grow it in my state. I don't think it'll add the height I'm looking for in the "background" of my garden though, unless I have it in pots attached to my future trellis. All this talk of invasive species is making me nervous though and now I'm not sure at all what to do. The growing season is winding down here already though, so I guess there's no rush to make a decision unless I want to plant a bulb this fall. Please do keep the ideas coming, they're very helpful!

Old 09-02-13, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Did anyone mention Clematis? My sister in law is crazy about it, planted it on the trellis I made her.

Old 09-02-13, 06:49 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Have you talked with your county agricultural extension agent yet? These offices are often staffed with people that work with the regional university and they are quite knowledgeable about what grows, what doesn't, what attracts, what repels, what grows in shade, etc. They will know what is and isn't a noxious weed in your area and they will help you decide what will be best for your particular location. Best of all, it is usually free.

Old 09-08-13, 10:37 AM
J
I looked around online for my county agricultural extension agent, and what I found was the UW Extension (which typically refers to some two-year colleges in the University of Wisconsin system) "cooperative extension" with some links to classes where we can learn to be "master gardeners" and whatnot. Honestly none of it looks like there's a particular a person I can talk to for advice. I'm actually thinking I could find advice from one of the knowledgeable workers at the local conservancy (non-profit organization for preserving native vegetation and waterways) or the nearby Mileager's (lawn and garden store). Anyway I'll find someone, and on my list to ask about are: trumpet vine, morning glory, and clemantis. Thanks guys for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: