Spacing of Azaleas

Old 09-17-13, 07:38 AM
Spacing of Azaleas

I am going to be planting a row of azaleas and do not want there to be any space in between. The grower's label says spacing should be 4ft. If I want to be certain that the azaleas are growing together into a solid mass, but, of course, not too crowded and lose all shape, how far apart would you plant them? 3ft, 3.5ft, 4ft?

I had a landscaper friend who planted some in the past for me at around 3ft, despite me suggesting otherwise, saying they would never reach that in umpteen years, don't worry about it, yada yada yada. So, I'm also wondering whether I should transplant those as well before they become to big to move.

Both the earlier azaleas and the current ones are supposed to be 4' wide and 4.5' high.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-13, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
I have Azalea bushes that were already planted when I bought the house. They're planted 5 feet apart. They are slow growing, but they get really full and bushy eventually.

My neighbor planted a few, more like 3 feet apart, and all but one eventually died.
I think they need some growing room. I wouldn't plant them closer than 4 feet apart.

Old 10-02-13, 06:16 AM
What variety are they? Is the location just right for them, according to label or other info? Are they under auto irrigation or.......?

Why not put them in 1/2 wine barrels for 2-3 years and see what's what. Plant later.

Old 10-02-13, 10:29 AM
These ones in particular were Encore Autumn Twists. I originally planted them closer than indicated on the label, but, having read their materials, it seems that if you want space between them then you need to space them further than the labeled width. So, I put them almost exactly at the labeled width. My fear was too close could lead to disease. They are in an area which will give them a lot of sun, unfortunately more afternoon sun, so it may not be optimal, but better than shade for at least Encore azaleas. No irrigation system, other than me and my hose. I TRY not to water too much, though my apparent natural instinct is to drown everything in sight. I'll try to fight that urge and at least water them until they look established or when there's a severe drought.

I also purchased some generic Hino azaleas, and the labeling on the size of those vary dramatically from one grower to another, so I'm still at a loss as to how big those can get in 10, 20, 30 years.