help with seed sowing in Florida

Old 09-26-13, 07:35 PM
Question help with seed sowing in Florida

I have tried numerous times to grow lettuce from seeds to get ready to transplant to my hydroponic planter. The seeds sprout, the stems become long and lanky, 2 small leaves form then they shrivel up and die. i never get the healthy seedling I see in pictures or in garden stores. I have tried different types of potting soils and peat starters with no success. Also different types of lettuce seeds were tried. I keep the soil moist by misting to avoid over saturation. I have them growing in a bright area both inside and outside in containers some covered and some not. Nothing seems to make much difference. Any ideas or suggestion would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-13, 02:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We grow lettuce in long planters every year. I like it on sandwiches I carry to work. Never had a problem. Using organic soil with no amendments at first. It sounds as if you may be using a fertilizer water on them. It causes a spurt of growth that the plant can't sustain for long. You must thin them out if you planted them too closely together so they will have room to grow.

Old 09-27-13, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
When did you plant your lettuce?

I have never tried growing hydroponically but I plant lettuce in early spring and late summer. It does not do well in extreme heat so we get a crop in before and after the worst of the summer heat. I just sprinkle the seeds on the ground (amended mixture of soil & compost) and water them in. The water a couple times a week to keep the ground moist.