Burning Bush, Nutrients and Ammonia

Old 11-01-13, 06:38 AM
Burning Bush, Nutrients and Ammonia

I have two areas of concern. the first area behind my property line belongs to the township and used to be weed infested. I cleared the area and landscaped it at my own expense and planted some burning bushes. I have been feeding the plants with a granular fertilizer called Osmocote smart release plant food.
NPK is 19% 6% 12%. I feed in April and August. But I do not think the burning bushes are growing as well as they should. Only half of the leaves have turned crimson red and are wilted. Some leaves have black spots.I performed a soil test with a new test kit and the results are pH 6 , Nitrogen (the sample stayed clear indicating no nitrogen).
I got the same result for phosphorus. However, I got a low result for Potassium.
The test kit does not give numbers except for the pH. The name of the test kit is Mosser and was purchased at Lowes Home Center. The kit does give me an estimate of how many pounds of the nutrients to add to this area of 700 square feet. So if I add these next Spring, I figure it will put me back on track.
But now, the second area in front of my fence is a latrine for my two dogs. This area is about 4 feet away from the burning bushes. So I do not know if their urine is affecting the bushes. I remove their feces every day.
I sprayed ammonia in this area twice to keep the smell down and to help keep flies away. But it does not seem to last.
So I need some opinions on the test kit, fertilizing and my use of ammonia. The bushes have been in the ground for 3 seasons and the results are poor. However, this year growth is much better then the first two. Check out the pictures. The white stone bed is the latrine.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No way would I be spray ammonia.
That's just going to attach more animals to pee on it.
It can also kill plants.

Old 11-01-13, 06:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 11-01-13, 07:17 AM
My apologies,
After checking out the website, I learned that the leaves of my bushes are not wilted but are drooping which is normal for this bush. I also learned that the color only lasts for two weeks according to the author. I was looking for 4 weeks of color.

Old 11-01-13, 02:56 PM
The thread has been bumped up due to user name change.