starting tomato plants indoors

Old 11-29-13, 05:49 AM
starting tomato plants indoors

Anyone have a secret soil formula for starting tomato plants from seeds indoors before the growing season...??
Thanx....Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-13, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Use garden soil, but bake it in the oven to sterilize it and kill weed seeds. Then mix in up to 50% miracle grow potting soil just to lighten up the soil and prevent it from compacting.

Old 11-29-13, 09:50 AM
I am lazy and plant everything in peat pots. I have several varieties and my seeds are not always fresh, so I plant multiple seeds in each pot and periodically pull the weaker ones until I a have sole survivor.

I use Miracle Grow potting soil (no baking required and digging up cold/frozen native soil) and plant more pots than I need since I have been known to get them out of the house (and clean up) and into the ground. - Better to have too many than none because of our theater of seasons can come daily.

Dick

Old 11-29-13, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
We have a mold to make little pots out of newspaper then fill them with potting soil, usually Miracle Grow brand. Then we just plant the pots in the ground and the roots grow right through the newspaper.

Old 11-30-13, 09:48 AM
Really appreciate the suggestions from all you folks.....Thanx.
Charlie