Cheap Raised Garden Bed

Old 01-18-14, 10:24 AM
Cheap Raised Garden Bed

I'm a new DIY but I wanted to build a raised garden bed for cheap. We rent where we currently are so I don't want to spend money for something that will last 10-15 years considering I think if we stay here even 2 more years it will be a miracle.

I know Cedar wood is recommended a lot but I'm trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. Can anyone give me some advice on treated vs untreated wood? I'm trying to make this simple so I don't want to deal with adding liners or plastic or anything. Would Douglas Fir be ok to use if I only need something to last at the most 2 or 3 years?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-14, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Use pine.. Its cheap... No pressure treated for plant beds but I think they fixed the chemical they used for treated wood...

Old 01-18-14, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know much about raised beds but I've always heard the richer the soil the more likely it is to leach chemicals out of the PT or creosote treated wood. I would think untreated pine would last a couple of years.

Old 01-18-14, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
If you are looking for something to last 2 years or less build it out of whatever you can get cheap. Get some old pallets for their wood, cut down a steel barrel, even old tires would work. All you are looking for is something to contain the soil.