Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Making a raised bed garden on a steep slope

Old 03-28-14, 08:38 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I read an article about no-dig gardening here:

No Dig Gardens | DoItYourself.com

and was sold with the idea. In my back yard I have a rather steep hill which I'd like to convert to a terrace with raised beds. I am thinking maybe 3 to 4 beds. In the spring thru fall, the sun was shining all day on this site. Here are two pictures of the hill from two different angles:

Name:  p1330809.jpg
Views: 4102
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  p1330810.jpg
Views: 3374
Size:  47.9 KB

I am a complete newbie to gardening and landscaping, so I'd like to get input on how to work this out. For example, should I use wood or stones to support the raised beds? I'd like to hold the cost of this project down, if possible. Also, I should not dig (or only very shallowly, if really needed) on the hill, since that's where the power line to the house goes.

Wirawan

Old 03-29-14, 06:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
There will be digging involved of some type as you'll have to anchor your raised beds to the slope somehow to prevent them from sliding down the hill. How you make it will depend on the materials you want to use, how much you want to spend and how much work you want to put into it.

Check the front of your phone book. You will find a number to call to have your underground utilities located for free.

Old 03-29-14, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO using stone is best but RR ties are probably cheaper, definitely quicker. Be sure to find out where the power line is located, water line too!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: