Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

New hardy mums growing under dead ones; now what?

New hardy mums growing under dead ones; now what?

Old 04-19-14, 05:51 AM
Question New hardy mums growing under dead ones; now what?

We planted some hardy mums last fall (we're in zone 7a) and they survived for a quite a while into the winter until eventually turning brown and brittle.

Now there's some new green growth under all the dead stuff and I'm wondering what to do about the old growth to let the new growth come through, since it looks like the old growth is pretty much done for: most of the old stems are totally dry and crack off if you look at them the wrong way.

Should I be trimming those parts off and, if so, where should the cut(s) be? Should the whole dead part be removed or any be left?

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-14, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Mums are a perennial depending on your zone. In our zone it is a crap shoot if they will survive so you are lucky. The old growth will always die back over the winter, this is what perennials do. Cut it off with clippers and enjoy your mum again!

Old 04-19-14, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
That's how mine look every spring. I just cut off the old, dead growth and they come back year after year.

Old 04-20-14, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. They're now cut back and ready for the next round.