Korean Maple not leafing out

Old 06-03-14, 08:38 PM
Korean Maple not leafing out

Hello.

I live in Calgary, Canada.

Last June I planted two beautiful Korean Maples in my backyard. They thrived...

This year they have not leafed out yet at all. It is now June. All of my other trees and shrubs etc are in full green.

I have broken off a couple twigs and the Maples are green inside. The trees appear to be healthy otherwise Any advice on wether I should wait it out or pull 'em up and return them to the store? (Have a 5 year warranty with Myke root system)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-14, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Unless spring comes late around there, my guess would be winter kill. They are not very hardy trees in cold climates. Give the store where you purchased them a call and see what they say.

Old 06-04-14, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Last winter was rough, I lost 3 established pampas grass to the extreme cold. I suspect that's what's happened to your trees. What does the warranty cover?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-04-14, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Winter kill is a distinct possibility since you planted the trees late (June) which did not give them enough time to fully establish before winter hit. Then couple it with a record setting cold, harsh winter and it was a double whammy.

What zone is Calgary? 3A, 3B or maybe 4 in a protected location? Korean Maple are hardy to zone 4 so with mild winters you might have gotten away with it for a few years but I think Mother nature would catch up with those trees eventually.

Old 06-04-14, 07:10 AM
Winter was nothing out of the normal other than much more snow than normal in calgary. These trees normally thrive in calgary apparently. The Korean and Amur Maples are highly recommended for my area. The trees seem to be alive and I believe just "confused" as I have tread happens to newer trees.

The warranty is five years and covers winter kill. These babies were expensive and they were gorgeous. I refuse to give up on them quite yet.

Thanks for the replies