Maple tree troubles ???

Old 06-30-14, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maple tree troubles ???

Hi all, We had a sunset maple tree planted in the early part of last Dec. (2013). The tree is about 10 feet tall and maybe 2-1/2 - 3 inches in diameter at the widest part of the trunk. The tree came in just fine in late spring like a lot of trees in these parts (mid-west) probably due to the harsh winter. While I mention the tree came in nice....the leaves are somewhat small and sparse, and there are quite a few branches with no leaves....maybe 30%. I figured maybe that's just the case in a new tree and it may come in thicker each year. (fingers crossed). Now what really has us concerned is the fact that some of the leaves are already starting to turn color and fall off as though it was late Sept. The trees seemed to have been planted correctly with about only 2 inches of the ball above the ground. The trees get watered when they go more than 4-5 days without water. My question is.....is this normal for a newly planted tree ?? Am I watering too much.....not enough, or is there maybe another problem that we should be concerned about ?? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-14, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Keep giving it good, thorough waterings. Normally planting in December would be perfect but this past winter was extremely harsh. I have lost well established plants so I imagine it was very hard on a fresh transplant. In the past I've had transplants that looked like they all but died their first season but recovered wonderfully in following years so I would not give up on it yet.