White birch tree pruning

Old 07-18-14, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White birch tree pruning

We have about a 50 year old white birch tree which I want to save. About 2 years ago we had it trimmed by a professional. He did not take anything off the tops of the tree, just branches that weighed down some of the other branches. It look healthy up until this year. Now the tops of the tree are too heavy for the leaves and hang limp and top heavy. Any suggestions? I do know we need to wait until the fall.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-14, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I'm glad you asked this and welcome to the forum!
I have 30yr old white Birches, and they're doing the same thing this summer. I haven't had them trimmed, but that awful ice storm we had last winter, really did some damage. A couple of them are broken at the top and a couple are just leaning downward, and they never did that before. One totally went to the ground, and we had to cut it down altogether.

I checked online, but couldn't find any useful advice.

Old 07-18-14, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
My only suggestion would be to be sure the person you hire is a licensed arborist, so as to avoid excessive trimming which can harm the health of the tree.

How to Grow and Maintain a Healthy Birch Tree

As mentioned in the link above, these trees can be long lived under the proper conditions, but it also mentioned, "In many yards, however, it is not unusual for birch trees, especially the white-barked birches, to die well before reaching 20 years of age."