Chinese Lantern?

Old 07-18-14, 04:54 PM
Chinese Lantern?

Hi. I was weeding my overgrown garden I have not been able to get to and noticed I pulled out a plant with little green lanterns on it. I had not weeded it out in the past because I thought it may have been something I planted. (This is our first garden and we are still learning!)

Upon research I have found chinese lantern and tomatillo as an answer to what it was. Are these the same thing? I read it can be poisonous? I did have a small rash on my arms shortly after gardening and wondered if it was from this?

How did it get there? I did not plant either of those plants. Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-14, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Chinese Lantern is kind of cool looking. I'm surprised you only had one plant as the stuff is invasive and multiplies quickly. The unripe berries are very toxic but I'm pretty sure the plant is not a skin irritant. The itch or small rash is probably from the poison ivy you managed to touch when weeding.

Both plants are in the nightshade category but the tomatillo looks like baby tomatoes.

Old 07-18-14, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Can't verify your findings for sure without a picture. If it's nightshade, it's *very* poisonous- leaves and fruit. Ground cherry is also in the same family, it's only poisonous before the fruit is ripe.

Old 07-18-14, 06:23 PM
okay from pics I've seen it is not nightshade...has small green lanterns on it. I will try to take pic tomorrow if it is not all dead and show you. No there was no poison ivy in the garden..this I DO know. Very familiar with that... This area of the lawn was always kept mowed quite well and I have never seen one of these plants before. This year we tilled it all up for our garden so I do not know where this came from.
Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-20-14, 03:45 PM
okay here is the pic I got..kind of wilted now ..sorry

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-14, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like a type of ground cherry to me... possibly physalis pubescens. But hard to say based on that pic and without seeing the leaves or the flowers.