Prunning an apple tree

Old 07-20-14, 04:49 PM
Prunning an apple tree

Hi all, can I do some prunning on my apple tree now,very little fruit and lots of branches ,tree is about 4 years old.
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-14, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Short answer, NO. The sap is still up in the limbs and pruning it can cause it to bleed to death, literally. All pruning should be done in the dead of winter. I mean, what else can you do in NH in February??

Old 07-21-14, 01:45 PM
my apple trees don't have many apples this year either,last they were loaded,i think they go in cycles.i never prune my trees in the summer, always mid feb. to end of march.

Old 07-21-14, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Prune every year in winter months. If not the tree will go in cycles as stated. fruit one year, not much the next..

How big is the tree?

There is a right way and a wrong way..

Old 07-21-14, 02:00 PM
Think back 6-8 weeks ago; did you have blossoms? After a bumper crop last year, we had a longer and colder than normal winter here in Michigan, resulting in no blossoms, hence no fruit. From what I recall hearing and reading, your case is likely similar. In fact some of our local apple orchards and blueberry farms did not even open this year. As for pruning, I would cut any dead wood that could easily be removed now, but otherwise, yup, it's a great winter project. Start with the suckers, and go from there.

Old 07-21-14, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My apple trees aren't doing much this year either. I hadn't thought about the extra cold winter but I'm sure that's played a part .... I was blaming in mostly on the lack of rainfall. My fruit trees are also young and the only trimming I've done has been to remove the suckers.

Old 07-21-14, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have weighted down apple trees, to the point I will have to put support under some limbs. Blessed, I guess. After the late freezes we had, I figured they were goners, but we have about 40 and most are doing well. The only thing the freeze got was this year's shoots on my figs. New stuff is coming from the bottom, so at least they aren't dead.

I did a proper pruning of my grapes this year....scary at first......they look decimated. But come spring they came out with a vengeance and grapes everywhere.

Old 07-23-14, 05:01 AM
Well, I guess I won't be able to go to Fla. this winter,we also had a rough winter here, I pruned the tree when I got back in May to thin it out but now it has a few apples and all kinds of new growth,not much room for sun to get in.
Geo

Old 07-23-14, 05:46 AM
Years ago I attended a seminar on apple tree pruning at an orchard. The instructor said the goal is to be able to throw a cat through the tree & not hit a branch. Before the PETA-philes flame me--he was kidding but driving home the point that a VERY open tree yields larger, quality fruit.

Old 07-23-14, 06:11 AM
(but do it by degrees over several years--drastically pruning a tree all at once can kill it)