pruning trees

Old 07-22-14, 11:21 AM
Unhappy pruning trees

I am getting estimates to have an oak tree and a magnolia tree trimmed. One arborist says to clear out only the dead branches. No thinning out. bad for the tree. Another one says to go ahead and trim out dead branches but also any stragglers. That the stragglers are sucking up nutrients that the rest of the tree needs. And that is the reason that arborist #1 is saying to leave them there. He says the tree needs that extra nourishment where the new branches grew.
I am totally confused. Is someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes here?
What the heck?
You guys haven't failed me yet. Please help with this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-14, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Whatever you do do not hire one of those folks that wants to "prune" off all the smaller branches leaving nothing but a few big stumpy limbs. As for your two aborists I think you might be down to splitting hairs. Like many things there is often no definite, one correct answer. Oaks and Magnolias are not known to have sucker or water sprout problems but they do occur more on some trees than others so the one arborist may be going a little further and giving the tree a neatening-up and work on it's form a bit.

Old 08-18-14, 03:14 PM
What is the reason for the tree work? Dead branches only? Any limbs going into neighbors yard?

Any leaning or tree roots coming up out of the ground? Any sawdust on the ground near the trunk?
A real arborist will have a license# to check with state or Arborist associations.

Old 08-18-14, 03:34 PM
Dead limbs. I'm in Florida - hurricane season so the trees need cleaning out. Always thought trees were supposed to be thinned out. One guy says no except for dead stuff.
My limbs are not going into neighbors yard but theirs are coming into mine. No sawdust but the guy says neighbors tree has probably about 5-10 years before it falls. Probably partly on my roof. 50 year old oak.

Old 08-20-14, 05:06 PM
Anytime a tree is worked on, you will get suckers/water sprouts later on in the year. It is OK to prune them back to the source.

"Heading Back" is a term you might have heard from the arborists. It is shortening a 20 foot limb back to 10-15 feet by pruning to a branch that juts out about 45 degrees. It will look natural, to a degree. You don't want to prune the crown or leader. It will make the tree look stubby and out of proportion.

Have more tree trimmers/arborists come for estimates. You should pump them for info and will learn something each time.