Need ideas for my window flowerbed!

Old 08-26-14, 10:56 AM
Need ideas for my window flowerbed!

I just moved into a new room (in a basement) and it has a window looking out at some weeds. But I want to get rid of the weeds and replace them with something nice to look at. It's a decent location -- seems to get a few hours of overhead sunlight each day.

I'm a total noob when it comes to flowers (what can survive, where it can survive, how long til they bloom, etc). I'm in South Dakota since I'm assuming location matters.

Any ideas? I'm kinda just looking to get pointed in the right direction Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-14, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
It's late in the season so I'd check your local nurseries, and home center garden areas for bedding plants. Most flowers do best in full sun but some will tolerate partial shade.

Marigolds are very hearty and are good to help repel some insects and are pretty inexpensive. You're likely to find some already blooming so you can have some instant color. They are also easy to collect the seeds after the flowers brown and save them to plant next spring. Pansies would be another option. They do well in cooler climates and are also inexpensive and pretty hearty.

Old 08-26-14, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Marigolds and pansies were my first thought as well - low effort for a lot of flowers. My daughter and I have a pot that usually has those in it every year unless someone happens to give her something else.

FWIW, we plant the pansies closer to the sun since the marigolds seem to always be the taller plant.

Old 08-26-14, 01:43 PM
Great! I'm excited. Those should be nice to look at from inside. Should I be doing anything to the dirt? All those weeds were able to prosper in it but I don't know if a flower would be more picky.

Old 08-26-14, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
You could spray the weeds with RoundUp if it's going to be a week or so before you plant anything. I just pull stuff by hand and turn over the dirt before planting each spring and usually only have to pull a couple small things before the plants themselves take over the area.

Old 08-26-14, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Yea, I too would spray the weeds with herbicide and let it sit for at least a couple days to let the herbicide kill the roots. What you need to do to the soil will depend on what's there but turning in some potting soil would not hurt.

I don't know how long you will be in that room but we've planted edibles as flowers. Blueberry bushes flower in spring and make pretty and tasty berries. Strawberries also flower and produce colorful fruit but only in early spring. Many herbs also do very well in small spaces. How about some fresh basil (when it's hot and humid), oregano, peppermint, thyme, chives, parsley and rosemary. Some of which flower so you get a double benefit.

Old 08-28-14, 08:31 AM
I dunno.......I would go to the Dollar Store and load up on plastic flowers and greens. Some look really good.