Size:  52.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  51.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  51.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  53.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  53.0 KBMy 15' Macintosh dwarf appears like it's growing faster than the bark can accommodate and has vertical splits and scars of this happening in the past. The leaves are also spotted so I'm sure it has a fungus or mold growth of some sort. Lots of green this years and only about 10 ugly apples that adventually dropped off. I pruned of a ton of branches to try get more sunlight in the interior of the tree 2 weeks ago.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4868
Size:  52.8 KB any ideas what to do???

Last edited by hvac01453; 08-28-14 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Additional question
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Pretty common with thin barked trees...esp when leaning. I think ideally, you'd prune to remove the upper weight and use cables to bring it more vertical, but at that height/age it's probably not going to work very well.

It still looks kinda top heavy to me, but it's been a long time since I was around fruit trees. I'm sure Chandler or Marksr may have more insight.

Old 08-28-14, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, don't trim it so late in the season. Dead of winter is the best time to prune. Have you had abnormal rainfall lately? It can cause the bark to split like that. I would give it a bandage treatment. I use expandable gauze around it and tar on the crack to help it heal. You may can find a commercial version at the home stores or nurseries.

Old 08-28-14, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
I dont think you should prune summer...

If you prune in the summer or early fall, you run several risks. Diseases and insect pests are active during these times and you’re likely to spread them through pruning. Additionally, pruning encourages new vegetative growth. If you prune in the summer or fall, the new growth won’t have time to harden off and will likely be damaged or killed by frost.

Also read here..

Frost crack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-28-14, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Ack! Larry! No tar or spray! Maybe some sort of specific sealer? No good arboretum or botanist would recommend that, I don't think. I believe nowadays they recommend pruning when the plant is active and can emit sap to seal the wound on it's own? Might be different for certain species?

Old 08-29-14, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Deciduous trees run the risk of bleeding during their growth season, especially if rainfall is plentiful. The amount of tar used is just enough to cover the crack to keep invasive bugs from entering it. The bandage holds it all in. Granted it is old school, and that is why I mentioned more politically correct methods available at nurseries. They probably won't call it "tar", but it will most likely be a petroleum based product.

Old 08-29-14, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
FYI my father painted our apple trees with white latex paint watered down every year...

Old 05-16-15, 07:43 PM
Went out to the tree today and scrubbed it with water, laundry detergent and ammonia. Got off a lot of the liken. Rinsed well. The ammonia should provide much needed nitrogen... My wife lightly scrubbed the tree one year and it stimulated an enormous amount of green and apples. Maybe this will happen again. Jerry Baker said on TV beating a tree with a newspaper will get strange looks from neighbors but stimulate the sap to move... I'll hit the tree soon with a fruit tree spray...

Old 05-16-15, 07:47 PM
Oh , I used roof chalking tar on two trees 10 years ago that were hit by a dozen a few years earlier and the scar was huge and decaying the tree. It has since closed using tar. Tar has sulphur compounds used for dandruff and other medications people use, so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly...

Old 05-17-15, 03:09 PM
I like sealing bark wounds with pitch (resin) or pine tar . . . . which all ought to be politically correct, being derived from contemporary vegetative sources.

Old 05-17-15, 04:19 PM
OMG, you sure can dance...

Old 10-05-15, 05:24 PM
Well it's October now and after that tree scrubbing, it was a record year for apples, four 5 gallon buckets full from one tree. Only problem is I didn't spay them and I threw away 7 buckets of apples from the same tree. I tarted up the tree again and a nearby farmer said pick a bunch of crab apple blooms when yours blooms and stick em in a vase with water and Laplace it at the base of the Apple tree to help better pollinate your tree. And add calcium to the spray, it looks like a cortland tree he said....oh, and the farmer said to aggressively prune it in early March by about 1/3rd.

Old 10-31-15, 05:28 PM
frost cracking...interesting, my cracks are however on the North side of the tree, the south side is much more open to wind, the south side is shaded from thick woods.

Old 10-31-15, 05:33 PM
tree scrubbing in spring...

this year was best of last 15 years, tons of apples lots of growth. Ill cut out 1/3 of the growth in Feb 2016, and shorten the tree by about 7 feet, and try clear out more behind the tree and spray in the spring and add calcium.