Weed Control With Newspapers

Old 10-26-14, 03:17 AM
Weed Control With Newspapers

I've read in this forum and other sites about using newspaper as weed control and I plan on doing that next year in my garden. One question though, is it OK to use the color ads/flyers that are inserted in the paper or should I just use the newsprint sections of the paper.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-14, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think it makes a difference although I've always saved the color newsprint for last - if I run out.

Old 10-26-14, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Newspapers are a neat idea and it does work short term. Just don't expect permanent which is generally not an issue in a vegetable garden. These days most newsprint is non-toxic as far is known. Black and white pages are on low grade paper while color pages and advertising contain varying amounts of clay to make the paper smoother and more shiny. I don't know of any plastic or other bad things used to make the color pages feel different or appear shiny. It's just clay, whatever that is.

Old 10-27-14, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understand correctly, latex paints are made from clay. How fine it is ground [pun not intended] determines how well it covers or sprays.

Old 10-27-14, 04:47 AM
Cardboard is another option.
Or you can also use a thick mulch of autumn leaves.

Old 10-28-14, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE][Cardboard is another option.
Or you can also use a thick mulch of autumn leaves/QUOTE]

I plan on putting some leaves on the garden this fall, tilling those under in the spring and then using newspaper as a weed barrier.

Old 10-28-14, 03:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO newsprint is an ideal weed barrier for a vegetable garden. The paper will last thru the growing season and degrade over the winter. I use newsprint and mulch in my garden every year - I hate to pull a lot of weeds

Old 11-14-14, 01:56 AM
I use newsprint and mulch in my garden every year
What type of mulch do you think is best? I was thinking of using straw unless there is something better.

Old 11-14-14, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Straw would decompose the quickest. I normally go to the land fill and buy a truck load of wood chips for about $15. For the most part it's decomposed by the next spring. I prefer to use their compost but they are almost always sold out by the time I'm ready for it.