Tree bark

Old 11-25-14, 12:35 PM
Tree bark

I have a small nishiki tree (about 6 feet tall) that I just planted in early June. I live in SE Pennsylvania. My wife just noticed the other morning that the bark has been rubbed off most likely by a deer. What can I do to the tree so it doesn't die and how can I prevent that from happening again?

Thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-14, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rich.....30-06 expanding nose. Not much else you can do with deer. They can jump 8' vertically so fences are out. Human hair around the base may make a difference.

Old 11-25-14, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
The bark will heal...don't use any undercoating type sealer spray on it.

Larry...these are PA deer...a 30-30 soft tip will be fine.

Seriously Ernie...you could always put a small chicken wire fence around the lower part of the trunk...like a tomato cage?

Old 11-25-14, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Personally I like Barnes bullets so there is no lead in the meat. But, only so much venison will fit in the freezer and you have to resort to alternative methods. I put fences around my new trees and leave it up as long as possible. For most trees I leave the fencing up 3 or 4 years but if it's something right in front of the house I put the fence up in early fall and remove it in spring.

Old 11-25-14, 03:32 PM
there is a product called liquid fence. keeps deer away from my garden and plants. been using it for a few years.

Old 11-25-14, 04:43 PM
Thank you, guys. It gives me some hope that the tree won't die. Tomorrow the protection goes up if we don't get too much snow!

Rich