Norfolk Island Pine

Old 12-06-14, 02:05 PM
Norfolk Island Pine

I think my brother is a great guy but we keep telling him please don't send plants. Well my mom said we don't have our tree up yet as we had a kind of messy table since I usually buy stuff at the store and we don't always have room in the kitchen. She probably never should have said anything about a tree as now we have a Norfolk Island Pine and we don't know what to do with it.

I know from Wikipedia that these pines are not what scientists truly call a pine and that Norfolk Island is somewhere in the Pacific and they say these trees really can't stand the cold. But we don't have room for house plants and we really would like to save it as I imagine they are expensive to buy.

So my question has anyone here ever put one of these living trees outside? To help you I live in College Park, Maryland zip code 20740. I really would like to save it if I can and would probably plant it far from the house as I hear that they grow very tall.

Also if this helps it might have been sent via Teleflora and they might or might not have the name wrong. I say they might have the name wrong because I hear that this is confused with another plant. I will take a picture and try to post it if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-14, 05:01 AM
Tree

Here is an article related to your question:

Norfolk Pine Care Indoors: Tips For Care Of A Norfolk Island Pine Plant

Old 12-08-14, 09:02 AM
Cool Be Cool

These "Norfolk Island Pines" are strictly indoor plants except on the southern coasts of California and Florida. Decorative for the holidays but not hardy, whatever their actual name.

If you actually have no room to set it, give away the little tree. You surely know someone who'd be happy to tend it for the holidays, or a nursing home patient with no family.

But if you can make a temporary space for its pot, put on a few decorations or lights and admire your Christmas tree. Dispose of it with the other Christmas trees of your neighborhood in the city collection - very likely it will need to go, by then. Your brother did what he'd insist was a nice thing, even if it was inappropriate. You've cautioned him before and it's his money to waste, so you're not obligated to worry about it.

Many families have a member that does this kind of thing. You just say "Well, that's Joe, gotta love 'im", shrug to each other, and go on about your life.