Deciding between 2 Brush Cutters

Old 01-27-15, 04:37 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Deciding between 2 Brush Cutters

Hey everyone, new member here

I'm considering buying a new brush cutter for our somewhat large backyard and have found a few okay deals on ************

Here are my options:

- A 2 stroke, 31.0Cc brush cutter for 492$

- 4 Stroke 33.5Cc for 539$

Now, for the last couple of years, I've been using my nephew's brush cutter of 2 strokes (can't remember Cc), which has served me perfectly until it broke down a few months ago. I haven't had any experience with more strokes and am wondering whether it's even worth upgrading.

What are you thoughts on the two and the price difference?

Thanks a lot!

Jasper

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-29-15 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Links removed
Old 01-27-15, 05:48 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Brush Cutters

I am not familiar with the brush cutters you are considering, but one thing I would suggest is to take note of the weight of each machine. i suspect the 4-stroke machine will be somewhat heavier than the 2-stroke.

Old 01-27-15, 06:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I have a couple different models but both are higher end, shaft drive and the largest you can get while still keeping a single forward D handle (not bicycle handle). The Stihl is a 2 stroke while the 4 stroke is Honda.

The 2 stroke is noticeably more powerful and best for brush cutting and line trimming through heavy grass where it's brute power can be used. It is not as good for light trimming because it does not like to be run at less than full throttle and throttle control in the mid power range is touchy. When trimming the yard it's a bit destructive as the throttle response tends to be more all or nothing.

The 4 stroke does not have the raw power of the 2 stroke. Where it shines is it's controlability. It is perfect for normal lawn trimming. You can easily run it as the lowest power needed to get the job done when trimming around delicate items. It can spin a brush cutting blade but it takes longer to get up to rpm and just doesn't have the brute horsepower of the 2 stroke for heavy cutting.

Old 01-28-15, 12:46 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply! Looks like I'll be getting a 2 stroke! I am surprised though, as my initial impression was that 4 is more powerful than 2 (hence more expensive).

The area that needs to be covered is extremely large, so I'll need as much power as I can get

Old 01-28-15, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you have a large area to cover, this would be a good alternative to hand held trimmers. Not sure how the money conversion would go from AU to US, but I have one and seldom crank my hand held anymore. DR Power Trimmer Mower: 7.25 Briggs & Stratton OHC (string trimmer)

Old 01-28-15, 08:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I think my 4 stroke Honda was the more expensive of the two. While it has less horsepower it is one of the easiest starting engines I've ever seen and when it idles it makes the cutest little put put sound. I suppose if you were a commercial landscaper you would see some payback from it's fuel consumption as the 4 stroke does much better on fuel than the 2 stroke. Whether or not if it's mainly due to the power difference or efficiency of the 4 stroke over the 2 stroke I don't know.

Old 01-28-15, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Why are you looking at an online site in Australia, when you're not from there?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: