Grafting

Old 02-13-15, 01:23 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grafting

Hello:
I know very little about grafting. I have a lot of Bos de arch (osage orange trees around my place. My dad has a peach tree. Would it be possible to graft a peach shoot on an osage orange tree?
Thanks

Old 02-13-15, 09:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since I don't know much about it myself, I just searched "tree grafting" online and found a ton of info. It's mostly instructions on techniques and timing. This is the right time of year (winter to early spring). Success rates apparently depend on how closely related the two species are. The University of North Carolina site used pear trees and dogwood as examples. The two kinds of pear they mentioned are compatible with each other, the two kinds of dogwood they cited are compatible with each other, but trying to graft a pear tree onto a dogwood will fail.

So I suppose it depends on whether osage orange and peach are different species, or are different varieties within the same species. I am most familiar with ads for roses that have been grafted onto other roses to get a type that blooms a great deal growing on a root that's more disease-resistant. Or apple tree grafts resulting in a tree that bears two separate kinds of apples on one tree. But I am sure I've seen occasional ads for fruit trees bearing two completely different fruits - say maybe peaches and plums. So: how close are peaches to osage orange? I don't have that answer. But you can't lose anything by trying since you've got plenty of osage orange. You'll at least gain some useful skills and might get some home-grown peaches too. Go for it!

Old 02-14-15, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
My question is why? Grafting is generally done to improve the characteristics of the final plant. A plant with strong top properties may have poor roots so it's grafted on something with good roots.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: