Large trees next to house

Old 03-20-15, 05:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Large trees next to house

There are huge pine trees growing very close to this porch. I would like suggestions and opinions on what should be done. I hate to loose these beautiful trees, but are they dangerous to the home, bad for the roof? It would probably costs at least $1000 to remove them I'm guessing, or should they be pruned? Please help. Thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-15, 06:03 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Although they have stood for many years, they are a danger to your house above ground and your foundation below ground. They need to go and be replaced by something that won't get into your foundation drainage. IMHO

Bud

Old 03-20-15, 06:10 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Totally agree with Bud. It will only get more expensive the longer you wait. If you remove and replace be sure to plant new trees at least 20 to 30 feet away. And get small decorative as opposed to a large growing tree. And do not plant where there is water or sewer lines running under ground. And be ready to prune every year. I'm a firm believer of NO trees near a house. They belong with their own kind in the forest.

Old 03-20-15, 06:49 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Trees

I agree with the above comments. Remove the trees now.

Old 03-20-15, 07:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
One more vote for removing them.

Old 03-20-15, 08:22 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I forgot to say welcome jac, welcome to the forum.

Not that you need more opinion on the side of removing those beauties, but in my early days of owning a home in NJ I removed a few pines, maybe a foot in diameter, and will never forget the excavation required. No backhoe in those days so I did it by hand. When I look at yours, I'm thinking the stump grinding approach may be better than trying to dig those out. In a few years, anything left in the ground will fall apart if necessary.

Bud

Old 03-20-15, 08:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
See if this guy can come over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKg0gbRFns

Old 03-20-15, 08:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would remove them unless you are planning on selling/moving in the near future. While they are pretty they appear to be way too close to the house. As Bud mentioned I would not be surprised if they have already done some damage to your foundation and maybe even the sewer line if it comes out the front of your house.

---
I've been in a similar position. I had a decent sized (12" diameter) pine tree in my gravel parking lot. I liked it because it broke up the expanse of ugly stone and provided nice shade. Over the years the tree doubled in size. Had I taken it down almost 20 years ago I could have dropped it myself. Over the years my warehouse has been expanded and another building added so last year I had to pay the price and hire a pro to bring it down in pieces... kicking myself for not doing it years ago. It ended up being $1k including the stump grinding and I had to dispose of the wood too big for a 12" chipper. It would have added another $250 for them to dispose of the big stuff.

Old 03-20-15, 08:45 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Stickshift, love that video.

To the OP. Don't even try to do it yourself. Get a pro who will remove the tree, the stump and depose of all the wood. Because of the closeness to the house be sure he is insured and check with your home owners insurance to see what is and is not covered in case of an accident while removing the trees.

You will also see a side benefit when their gone. You'll notice the front to be open and airy. You'll want to make it look cleaner. If the front of house is on a southern exposure, you will loose the cooling effect, but that can be corrected with shrubbery, awnings and A/C if don't have it. I'll also bet you will want to give your home a new paint job. Then landscape with small ornamental trees planted well away from house.

Old 03-20-15, 12:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely hire a professional and have them removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: