Question about the red bud tree?

Old 04-04-15, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about the red bud tree?

I always wondered why the person who named the trees that bloom purple flowers a "redbud" tree ..Was he/she colored blind? lol

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-15, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Since your profile isn't complete, we don't know where you are located. Our red bud trees are red in the South, so it could be soil conditions that cause a little difference in the hue. Sort of like Kentucky Blue Grass...........it's green, unless you have sampled good ole Kentucky Bourbon beforehand.

Old 04-05-15, 09:05 AM
Chandler, I am from georgia but drive all over tenn and ga for work.Ive never seen a "red" red bud tree.They are all lavender(light purple) here

Can you post a pic of a red one?

Old 04-05-15, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
My wife's been working on me for years but my color pallet is very simple; white, black, red, blue, yellow and brown. I might get fancy and say purple or pink but in my world colors are light or dark versions of the basic colors. My wife will tell me something is lavender or chartreuse and I'll give the look... she'll heavy sigh and give me back a look and say "it's a light green"... then mumble under her breath that I'm a neanderthal.

Old 04-05-15, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm like Dane. If it isn't a neanderthal, it's a Male Chauvinist Pig, but here's a picture off the front porch of the red bud tree. Always first to put out, and to me it is red.

Name:  redbud.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 04-05-15, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Looks like red (when fully bloomed) or maybe a dark pink/light red to me. Guess I can join the Neandethal Lodge

Old 04-14-15, 02:26 PM
Redbud tree observation...

I think everyone here is correct about the flowers on the Redbud tree not actually being 'Red' but more 'Pink' at best.
In my SW PA area the Redbud trees haven't even started terminal bud growth yet, likely due to the length of the cold weather into late March that was very unusual for us.
So, I'm depending on memory here, but if I recall correctly - once the flower buds start to grow but prior to the flower actually blooming - I think the 'buds' are a Red color.

BTW Redbud trees are a wonderful tree for soil retention and slide prevention due to the large taproot and very large feeder-root system they employ plus being a fairly small/medium sized tree that can be planted close together. I've tried to transplant very small Redbud trees that 'volunteered' from larger trees; but was never successful trying to dig them up with a shovel. The main root would be so deep, I couldn't get enough of it with a regular spade shovel for the tree to survive transplanting.
This year, I was able to pull some out using my lawn tractor and a slipknot hitch - roots and all from a drainage ditch we installed several years ago and the following year a whole lot of Redbud trees began to grow from the disturbed soil we used to back-fill the ditch.
I soaked them in water in the shade until we had a wet spell later in the week and then got them planted within about 3 days - so I'm hoping they'll take root.

Let me know if my memory was right and you see the red on the Redbud tree.
Thanks,
greynold99

Old 05-01-15, 08:34 AM
Quick update...

When our Redbud's bloomed, the buds weren't 'Red' but color more closely resembled that third color cartridge you replace on color printer - like a dark 'Magenta' and when the flowers bloomed a dark pink...

My transplanted Redbud trees seem to be doing well since we've gotten regular rainy periods and not too awful hot yet. I'll probably be transplanting some Red Twig dogwood and Osage Orange trees this weekend and hope it's not too late.
greynold99