Planting a Tree Farm

Old 03-28-01, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I am planning to start planting Christmas trees on several acres of unused farmland we owe. We will be starting with several hundred Norway Spruce. Has anyone done this type of mass planting? The saplings are only about 12 to 16", what size hole is needed for each plant ? What should be used to backfill the hole ? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated......

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-01, 09:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I worked for a guy who had a tree farm in Indiana, PA. There were only a couple types of trees he would not use as christmas trees, and one of them was Norways. He had tried them a few years prior and they all dropped their needles before christmas. It may have been a disease on the trees, but I'd check it out first. The best sellers were always fraser firs, and Canaan(sp?) firs. The spruces and balsams did well, and the scotch and whites sold slowly. Some others to think about are douglas firs and concolor firs (everyone loves soft needles).

The trees he planted were just whips and planted by a machine from the back of a tractor. One person drives, the other drops the whips into the machine and that's it. If you can rent one for a day or two it would probably be well worth whatever the cost is.

Back-filling probably depends on the soil on the farm. My boss' farm had a lot of clay and rock but the trees still did well somehow. He occasionally used a product called holly-tone. It really kicks acid loving plants in the butt! Hope this helps. Have fun shearing all of those trees and watch out for the hornet nests.