Winter kill

Old 05-06-15, 05:29 PM
Winter kill

Hi All,the winter here in NE was brutal this year and many of my shrubs suffered winter kill, Hollies, rhodies, and other evergreens all have many brown areas,I have soaked them with water as that seems to be the only suggestion I can find,should I be prunning the dead spots out,or what?
Please advise.
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-15, 08:04 PM
If they would normally be producing new growth by now but haven't, it's probably a good likelihood that they won't, and you could trim out the dead parts. If they don't normally produce new growth until later in the season, hold off to see how much actually died back.

You could test a few sections though, cutting off at the base of the brown parts, then just a little bit more until you reach green sections. That way you'll know how much actually died back and can get if off now so you can watch for new growth. There's still a possibility that more dieback will show up as spring progresses though.

Those parts that did suffer dieback aren't going to revive so the only real option is just to cut them out - the question is whether or not all the dieback is showing now or is still in process.