Weed barrier?

Old 05-19-15, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weed barrier?

I am literally at my wits end fighting these weeds in my flower beds. To date, the weed killers I have bought have largely been ineffective and a huge waste of money and time. So, now I am thinking of putting down a weed barrier. When we bought this house, the front has it and it pretty much does a good job. I am thinking about getting it for the side of my house.

What are the thoughts on this? A landscaper told me not to do it but I thought I would get other opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-15, 02:57 PM
Received 78 Votes on 72 Posts
Like anything else it will require maintenance. It won't be permanent. In about 2 years or 3 you will need to redo it.

Old 05-19-15, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I like to lay newsprint down and then cover it with mulch. While temporary, the newspaper will deteriorate in about 6 months so there is nothing to remove.

Old 05-19-15, 06:15 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Unless you pull the weeds out by the roots pretreat the area with a product like Preen then apply about 6" of mulch there going to come back.
No way would I use a so called fabric type weed blocker, the weeds will just grow through it and make them harder to pull.

Old 05-19-15, 11:17 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Higher quality (read, more expensive) landscape fabrics will last longer and do a better job at controlling weed growth than will the cheaper versions. that stated, many of the weeds you find are NOT from the soil under the fabric but are wind blown into your yard from afar. There is nothing that will stop these "volunteers" but diligence on the part of the homeowner.

Old 05-20-15, 03:19 AM
Thats fine by me. Thats a 2-3 year break from having to deal with weeds!

Old 05-20-15, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Weeds will always emerge. Cracks in rocks and concrete are not immune so it's hard to expect a flower bed to be maintenance free. Landscape fabric can help but I find that weeds grow just as well in mulch on top of landscape fabric especially if there is several years worth of decomposed mulch to provide a growing medium.

I just do regular spraying or pulling. I pull weeds that appear very close to plants I want and I spray those further away. I've not had good luck with barrier type herbicides as were often planting new things which means raking and digging which destroys the protective barrier provided by many long term herbicides. So, regular old glyphosate applied needed. It's cheap and relatively easy to just spray what appears.

Old 05-22-15, 05:01 AM
As stated, I have had poor results with the sprays. This is the avenue I have not tried yet

Is plastic sheeting comparable? Everyone seems to sell the fabric, and thats not what I want.

Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 05-22-15 at 05:28 AM.