Bat Guano

Old 05-25-15, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Bat Guano

After 8 years without success our bat house is finally occupied... big time. Does anyone have experience or advice using fresh guano? I know enough to not taste it but should it be aged or composted before use? Is it safe to use it fresh in the veggie and flower garden.

Right now the guano is dropping to the ground about 3 feet from one of my hop plants. It's a established, tough plant so I'm not concerned for it's health but I'd love to expand into bat condo's and time shares to produce more fertilizer and need to learn how to properly handle it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-15, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
No direct experience, but from what I know it's one of the more potent types and should be aged/composted. Either that or small amounts worked into the soil. Very high in nitrogen in your situation, though if it gets rained on a lot will leach out.

I know back as a kid, we always composted the chicken manure. I would think bat would be the similar?

Old 05-25-15, 03:05 PM
Batman's favorite!

I know nothing about any kind of gardening other than what I have learned from books and other people, but I have never heard of using any fresh manure on anything. Bats**t may break down faster than some other manure but I would probably mix it into some soil and let it age a month or two at least.

Old 05-25-15, 08:33 PM
My understanding is that all fresh manure should be aged before application, not only because of the heat potentially harming the plants but also because of possible pathogens.

Old 05-26-15, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by NorthernWinds
My understanding is that all fresh manure should be aged before application, not only because of the heat potentially harming the plants but also because of possible pathogens.
I think one exception to that is "Goats" . . . . but we composted it anyway.

At one time, we had horses/ponies, hogs/pigs, goats, sheep, rabbits, guinea pigs, ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys, squab . . . . all at once, so we didn't have much time to segregate those various manures. But those tons and tons of manure represented tons and tons of feed and hay for which we had laid out tons of money . . . . and the Vet bills were right up there too.

And that activity was incompatible with running a Real Estate business out of the same farm . . . . so now all we have are cats (for the rats/mice/snakes), cockatiels, and sometimes a dog.

Bats sound like a good deal . . . . you don't have to feed Bats !

PS: Don't they mine de-hydrated bat guano from ancient caves and use it in the manufacture of gunpowder ?

Last edited by Vermont; 05-26-15 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Added PostScript
Old 05-26-15, 06:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Be careful when composting any manure for run off. It contains e coli. I have a neighbor who spread raw, uncomposted chicken manure on a field. He was upstream from another neighbor who raises koi fish. Didn't take long for $1M in koi to die.