Transplanting a common boxwood

Old 05-28-15, 07:22 AM
Transplanting a common boxwood

I would like to get some input on transplanting a 20 yr old common boxwood that is 9 ft tall with a 4 ft spread. The tree is near the house foundation, so it is getting large for this spot. I would like to move it to the boundary of the property as part of a mixed privacy border.

I have read theses trees have a shallow root system, so that moving might be easier. I would doing the work myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
So you have a question? Dig as large a root ball as you can and keep it well watered for several months after the move.

Old 05-28-15, 01:47 PM
A 20 year old boxwood is going to have a very deep and wide root system. I recently yanked two out of my yard and couldn't believe how thick and strong the roots were. I truck had a difficult time pulling them out without hacking half the roots. You've got your work cut out for you if you're going to transplant.

Old 05-28-15, 02:43 PM
@mossman
This is the input I am looking for. Since I will be transplanting this myself, it does not seem like it is worthwhile given the amount of work. From what I had read elsewhere, they made it sound like an easy job since they claim common boxwood have a shallow root system. So the job would just be to dig a small root ball, spiral tie the branches during the move and drag it to the new hole.

My boxwood is growing in a planting area 2x3 ft surrounded on all four sides by various structures of the house. Do you think this will reduce the root ball size and make it any easier?

Old 05-29-15, 09:06 AM
[SUP][/SUP]I really don't know. The ones I pulled had foundation on one side and a driveway on the other and the roots were more than two feet deep and spanned passed the width of the bush. Roots were a couple inches in diameter. I had to hack them then yank them out with my truck. There are still roots left in the ground. Think I have a picture and even a video of it. I'll post it if I can find it.

Old 05-29-15, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Personally I would not move a tree that size by hand unless you have a great love for it and are looking for serious exercise. I recently moved dwarf boxwood less than three feet high and the trees and root balls weighed about 40+ pounds and I still cut a good deal of roots getting them out. I think your 4'x4' tree growing in a 2'x3' opening will pose problems simply for digging. The branches overhang the ground so you'll be fighting and probably damaging to dig almost any root ball.

Old 06-02-15, 09:06 PM
You can also take cuttings from the boxwood; they root quite easily. Depending on the various weather conditions, their little seeds can also be blown around and sprout readily. I must have 3 - 4 dozen little boxwoods that sprouted on their own.

Eventually when you have as many cuttings as you want, you can remove the boxwood and add it to your compost or use it for mulch.