Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Removing dirt from the root flare of a tree

Old 06-29-15, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have an ornamental tree that isn't doing so well, so with a little research I discovered that it's terribly bad to have the flare of a tree covered with mulch and dirt. I've removed some of the dirt but am unsure of whether I need to remove more or remove some of the tiny roots. I would greatly appreciate some advice about how to proceed.

Thank you!

Name:  tree_flare1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  tree_flare2.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  45.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-15, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
It does not look like the dirt or mulch was excessively high and I don't see any damage. You can damage a tree by changing the soil level so I wouldn't expose the flare and roots like that without a good reason to do so. What kind of tree is it and what problem is it having?

Old 07-01-15, 09:29 AM
Hi Pilot Dane,

I'm not sure what type of tree it is. That might be testament to poor googling skills. So far the tree seems to have a scale infestation, and it hasn't grown leaves on many of its branches. We've recently sprayed it with horticultural oil to see if that would help.

Name:  tree.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  27.4 KB

In case the leaf type makes it readily identifiable.

Name:  leaves.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  21.9 KB

Thank you for your reply!

Old 07-01-15, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like some type of maple. Clemson University has a good webpage that might help. Seeing the dead and live sections looks alot like damage I've seen from Asian Ambrosia Beetles which have gotten bad. It's little tubes are easy to spot protruding from the bark earlier in the season but most are usually knocked off by now.

I'd bet that the roots being covered was not a problem. I would cover them back like they were to begin with.

Old 07-02-15, 01:54 PM
I will cover them up again then, and look into treatment for Asian Ambrosia beetles. Thank you!

Old 07-02-15, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
As far gone as your tree appears there really isn't a treatment for Ambrosia beetles other than a chain saw and shopping for a replacement tree. But, I wouldn't freak out until you identify the cause of your trees problem.