My red maple is green

Old 07-07-15, 07:38 PM
My red maple is green

I planted a red maple mid-April and it is nice and full...with green leaves. Is this normal? I live in NW Washington.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-15, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Unless I am mistaken, they don't turn red until autumn when the weather changes. I assume that was the question...why isn't it red?

Perhaps you really wanted some variety of Japanese maple. I think there are a few that have reddish bronze leaves during the growing season.

Old 07-07-15, 09:12 PM
Gunguy is correct, they turn red in the fall. Mine is green right now.

Old 07-08-15, 04:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed, I probably have a 100 red maples on my property and they all currently have green leaves.

Old 07-08-15, 04:37 AM
My neighbor has a large mature red maple and it is red all of the time, it is a type of maple. I have several native maples that are green all growing season until the fal when the leaves turn red just before they fall off, fall colors. The red maple across the street doesn't get the bright red we see with those fall colors.

However, he offered me a couple of small red maple trees that had rooted in his flower garden and I took them, unfortunately they didn't survive, but he said, young red maples are green for several years. Not sure how long before they start developing the deep red leaves, but he has many out back he has transplanted and they are all deep red now.

Bud

Old 07-08-15, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, I planted a red maple two+ years ago. It has normal green leaves during summer but they turn a nice fire red in fall depending on conditions and age. In it's first year my trees leaves did do anything spectacular in fall. Mostly yellow browns and the leaves fell off. The second fall more red appeared though nothing as spectacular as the photos I've seen on the Internet. I'm hopeful for this, it's third fall.

Old 07-08-15, 05:45 AM
Did some searching and I never knew they call all of my maples "red maples", because they all turn red in the fall. But up here they are just referred to as maples or sugar maples. The Crimson King or Norway Maple must be the dark red variety I'm referring to.

I wonder what the op purchased?

Bud

Old 07-09-15, 09:06 PM
Hmm. Interesting. My parents have some that are always red but they were planted about 25 years ago.

Old 07-09-15, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
They probably have a Crimson King Red Maple or a Royal Red Norway Maple or some similar variety that is red all year.