Can you identify this plant?

Old 07-12-15, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you identify this plant?

There's a type of plant that started growing in one section of our property a few years ago. I pull up the ones I can find periodically, but they always come back. Each year there's more than the previous year, and over a larger geographic area than the year before. It flowers, and it has sharp protrusions on the stem. Little ones along the base, and larger ones farther up once it grows larger. The kids and I like to go barefoot, and these aren't pleasant to step on or pull up, so I'm hoping to figure out how to eradicate them from this section of our property without resorting to weed killer. They grow in the corner of our garden.

Name:  what is this 1.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  what is this 2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  what is this 3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  53.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-15, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
It looks like something in the nightshade family, like Solanum nigrum or maybe some type of ground cherry. Better pictures of the flower might help and also once the fruit/seed develops it would help identify it.

Old 07-12-15, 04:07 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
I suggest checking with your local county agricultural agent, the phone number will be in the government (blue) pages of your local telephone book or probably on-line as well. They may send someone to actually look at it or they may want a picture or possibly for you to dig up a sample and send it (take it) into the office.

It may be considered a "noxious weed" in your area and if so the county may help you to eradicate it. At the very least they will tell you the best methods, as well as things NOT to do to get rid of it.

Old 07-12-15, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In my part of the country we call them "Treadsalves". They are of the silver leaf nightshade family. They have a large potato from which they come back each time they are pulled. This potato can be as deep as 25'.
I know you said no herbicides, but that will be the way to get them. Roundup applied every time they show up and get a few leaves. It will take several years of continuous Roundup application to eradicate them. I cleared my back yard several years ago and now have a clean lawn.

RR

Old 07-12-15, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
AKA Horse nettle?..............................

Old 07-12-15, 07:44 PM
Wow, I never cease to be amazed at the helpfulness of this site's members, no matter what the topic is! I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction within a week of posting this, and in five hours I'm reasonably certain of the exact type of plant. Using the tips that you each provided, I did some searching on plants.usda.gov, and I'm 95% sure that it's Carolina horsenettle. The 3rd, 7th, and 10th images on the Images tab of that page look remarkably similar to what's growing in our garden/lawn.

Old 07-12-15, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Horse nettle will have the spines on the stem. I didn't seen any spines in your pic, but we are missing some of the details from just a photo.

Old 07-12-15, 08:30 PM
Horse nettle will have the spines on the stem. I didn't seen any spines in your pic, but we are missing some of the details from just a photo.
I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow.