Pine tree issue

Old 07-22-15, 02:20 PM
Pine tree issue

Have a group of short needle pine trees, all about 4" tall and just noticed three of them have the top center stem that has begun to curl and brown and one or more branches near that area have turned light green as though they too may be affected by something.........any idea what causes this?
Rest of the tree is fine, just the top growth stem (know thee is a name for that part) is affected and would like to treat the issue with something but not sure what. Any suggestions?
Always a big thanks for help f rom the DIY

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-15, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
4" ain't much of a pine tree, IMO Actually the top knot of pine trees is the part that gives off pollen that bees move from tree to tree. It dies off each year. As the tree grows, this part becomes larger and is a succulent. Bears love them. I can tell when the bears come down in spring, by all the succulents being eaten off.

Can you post a picture of what you have? I had to step back. There are small pine trees. https://www.provenwinners.com/profes...sula-tetragona

Here's what I am referring to.

Name:  pine.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 07-22-15, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
A picture would be very helpful. Some brown stuff is normal but if you see the entire tree or large sections brown and die read up on borer beetles.

Old 07-22-15, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep. Pine beetles are bad dudes. I have one that had them, but the woodpeckers got them, I think. The tree is dead and I'm waiting for it to keel over harmlessly.