Can I save these bushes?

Old 08-10-15, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I save these bushes?

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to maintaining a green garden. These bushes were nice a full when we moved into the house, but with the rising heat this summer and the drought conditions in CA (San Diego area) these bushes got hit pretty hard.

I placed a soaker hose around the bases and water them either in the evenings or early morning (6-7am). They started to bloom a little tiny bit but it seems they are still struggling... whatever leaves are on it have a reddish tint, and not green like they should be. They are also located in the direct sun light for most of the day, and I get zero clouds around here.

Is there a way for me to save these guys? I'm not sure what else I can do. Water them more? (I really shouldn't.. since we are trying to conserve water). Place more mulch in the bottom? Cover them with a cloth to protect them from the sun?

Name:  upload_-1(1).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  upload_-1(8).jpg
Views: 181
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  upload_-1(10).jpg
Views: 178
Size:  50.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-15, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I wonder if those are some variety of Nandina?

Unfortunately there are a lot of plants that cannot survive naturally in your location without artificial support. Water is the key for their survival. You can keep them alive by watering deeply. Sporadic deep watering like once a week or 10 days should be enough to keep them alive. They won't look perfect but it should keep them alive. The longer term issue will be whether or not you want to keep plants that can't naturally survive in your climate.

Old 08-11-15, 06:12 AM
Temporarily Suspended
There might be some water restrictions, in California. IMO mulch is a waste, of money.

Old 08-11-15, 08:37 PM
I thought mulch is a waste of money too. But in my current case I have 4 huge pine trees on my property. There is NO shortage of pine needles.... I load up 5-7 trash cans once a month to clear them out.

Old 08-11-15, 11:33 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What is the connection between mulch & pine needles?

Old 08-12-15, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Pine needles can be used as mulch. Personally I like mulch both for the aesthetic aspect and for controlling weeds.

Old 08-12-15, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I had pine needles around the shrubbery at the office long ago. One idiot tossed a cigarette butt and that stuff went up in flames. Now I used shredded cedar. Much more difficult to ignite.