Wishing to kill a large pine tree.

Old 09-10-15, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wishing to kill a large pine tree.

Need to pour some type of tree killer on this 8" stalk pine tree (big one). I don't want to cut it down til, it has all the poison ivy around it, dead or dieing so.....this pine might as well be on the death list. Tried gasoline years ago but no luck . I am open to any suggestions? thank you for whatever you can share with me on this bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-15, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums Bob!

Is the tree 8" in diameter? how tall? .. I'd work on killing the poison ivy first!!

Old 09-10-15, 03:58 PM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
Marksr is correct. Kill the poison ivy first. It can be done . There are several off the self product including the typical vegetation killers.

When that is done just cut it down as close to ground level as possible. 8" is not that big, just be careful that it falls the correct way. Then you can use copper sulfate to "rot" the stump. But it may take years. I for one find it's well worth paying to have it ground out by pros. If you see some tree people doing work on your street go ask them if they can grind it out on the Q-T for about $25 to $50. I did that and had to force them take $10.

Old 09-11-15, 07:27 AM
Its 18' for sure........Been trying spraying it with "ground clear" by ortho, works slowly . I thought maybe when the leaves hit the ground..i could see what i am dealing with .adjacent "scrub tree' The pine needles are browning up very slowly, Was thinking of maybe, of a quicker method, should there be one/
bold type is easier for me to see

BTW thank you for the welcome Marksr. i have been trying for several months to get on this forum finally my many thanks go to............. Kimberly Keller.Who kept at it, til the forum worked for me. Great gal that i was able to manage to get thru to ,,,shes.... advertiser... i think cheers bob s

Old 09-11-15, 01:46 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Poison Ivy

Use brush killer to kill poison ivy.

Old 09-17-15, 07:04 AM
large pine tree kill

Why couldn't i throw 5 gallons.........or . two gallons of gas a couple times on the tree low, then the drip line would be hampered by the gasoline forcing it to die?I gotta get it where i can handle it alone little by little gas is cheap around here .if you can call just under $2.00 cheap thanks waiting to hear bob s

Old 09-17-15, 07:19 AM
NO! Gasoline dumped in the ground is an enviromenatl hazard. I doubt anyone on this forum will condone that action.

Old 09-17-15, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
Even if it wasn't a bad idea environmentally, I don't think the gas would kill the tree.

What's wrong with using brush killer on the poison ivy and then cutting down the tree?

Old 09-17-15, 08:20 AM
pine

Isprayed that tree with ortho ground clear usually. kills everything and that includes 10 feet past that.It says brush killer. Maybe i have to keep spraying it, far as ground contamination....we might be or i might be nit-picking alittle.Its a church lot tree- noones ever near it, and the fellow (preacher) i think. Well he planted them all wrong, WAY to close together, they are filling up with Sumac poison ivy .and you oughta see my arms at this point. looks like i went to knife fight and brought A pencil.They told me [church] folks to do as i wanted So thats where i am at i will keep spraying should that be what it takes but gasoline kills about everything . Ido know that i spill sometimes more than i put in my yard tool if yu know what i mean age again any more tips i am listening thanks for you help bob s

Old 09-17-15, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The brush killer works best if there has been recent rain or at least not drought conditions. You need to saturate the leaves well and assuming your poison ivy is a stubborn as what I have - it will take repeated applications of the brush killer!

Old 09-17-15, 09:51 AM
You need a different tack...do everything you can to keep it alive. Baby it, talk to it, feed it, water it, etc. It'll be dead in two weeks. DAMHIKT

Old 09-18-15, 04:37 AM
Great info fellas!I will drown that "poison ivy" with brush killer, til cooler weather. I didn't think it.as told me by friends, that it would die, at all?. even if i wanted to burn it out in my back yard long ways from the buildings.I would be in trouble.All this trouble because the pastor.never touched-[trimmed] the trees and bushes in 25 years.Very good man, and pastor liked the fellow, dearly. but a bit useless in everyday living:NO NO NO:
Bob S

Old 09-18-15, 06:16 AM
Just a comment. You mentioned burning. To those that might contemplate this as a solution. DON'T!!!! I know from personal experience. My friend and I were bed ridden for about a week. We had it in any and all orifices (and I mean all). We both are so sensitized to it that we must be very careful, another bad case could cause death.

Old 09-18-15, 07:27 AM
I need to find out WHO..... here.... knows which --brush killer--is the strongest. i can get. i need a name. Yes i believe the "not burning poison ivy" statement Any good ideas to prevent my doing it this way......i need to know.you can kill it---- but its not dead.dead! .just what i have learned right or wrong over the years.i suppose a fellow would have to invest in a plastic coverall, gloves face mask to do this.Or has anyone ever heard of companies that do this.removal of terrible plant?
think i mentioned;" Ortho grnd clear"Has to better ground clear"this don't kill fast enough As i say i am all ears here.My son filled me in last nite, about burning the stuff. Be wayyyyy up wind if i did it. lot trouble tryin to get rid of this plant. thanks much... as always. If you think of anything keep sending them ideas along.Lowes staff are not informed about anything, but lunch time and "goin on my break" No cruelty or negativity meant, if you work there. Just want to get this job done .it keeps draggin along.let me know and thank you for the warnings, bob s

Old 09-19-15, 05:26 AM
btt btt btt please? how can i know--- when i can handle --this dreaded stuff?keeps on burning me up with itching. Its really bad on me. and keeps showing new places that are supposed to be dieing from anectedote ...preccription i was givenWhat is the procedure? Thank you bob s

Old 09-19-15, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's best to never let it the poison ivy come in contact with your skin! Long sleeve shirt and gloves help a lot. I get into poison ivy on a weekly basis but as long as I'm aware that I got into it and wash up shortly - I'm ok. Once you get the rash there isn't a lot you can do but grin and bare it [well maybe not grin] Calamine lotion and products like Ivy Dry help a little but there isn't anything other than time that will cure it [7-10 days]

Old 09-19-15, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
If you have a Poison Ivy rash go to the Dr. and get a prescription for Prednisone. Will clear it up in about 4-5 days.

Old 09-19-15, 09:03 AM
Did that already! HOW do i know.when offending ivy is dead dead, so i can remove it safely, And what would you do to get hold of the ivy infected bush. I can't lift it out and get under it to wrap a chain around it to jerk it out. bout done here thanks bob s

Old 09-19-15, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
IMO Poison Ivy is never non toxic. Even when it is dead the oils in the plant could still get you. As others have mentioned suit up with protective gloves, long sleeved shirt, safety glasses, and long pants. If you want to have a friend tape the gloves on with duct tape, that might not be a bad idea too. After you are done working, CAREFULLY remove your cloths and wash them. This will remove the urushiol, the bad stuff in Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy in MN does not grow big enough that you can wrap a chain around it and pull it out. I would think MI would be similar but maybe not. After killing it with a herbicide all you should need to do is cut it flush to the ground. Just make sure not to cut it off until the plant is fully dead so you know the herbicide killed the roots. It should be dead, dead when the leaves are brown and there is no green from cuttings.

Old 09-19-15, 02:26 PM
Thank you much just what i was looking for. No this is really thin vined P-I. Its wrapped around one of her bushes.Now i know what to do tolyn ironhand.
And thank you to all the other folks here who were trying to help me. bob s

Old 09-25-15, 08:57 AM
[B well the tree is cut down..limbs all burned and the trunk is cut up in my backyard. alls well that ...........well it didn't end well. 5 church members sent A boob over in a tie, to tell me i had to have permission to do that. I agreed... but had already obtained permission from 2 others. They aren't "board members" so this female came poking around my backyard early in the AM last thursday[early riser I]. Snappin pictures of a damn tree incident. Needless to say....i won't attend this church again[/B]

You ever notice some people just have to be dramatizing everything. For those who were thinking, i was killing my neighbors tree.I was not,------ but had thought about it.
That corner of my lot and theirs looks magnificent .all cleaned and trimmed up of access foilage thanks for help and reading this email take care all bob s

wwwhhhy!!! i even offered to pay for that tree!