What type of worm is this?

Old 04-08-01, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have been finding these small white curled up worms in my garden. They are everywhere! What could they be and are they beneficial or will they damage my plants. If I were to pull them straight they would measure 1". They are about 1/4" around. If they are not beneficial how can I get rid of them and not hurt my plants?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-01, 06:28 AM
gini,
Those lil' critters are probably common grub worms, the early stage of the Japanese beetle. They probably won't do terrible harm to individual flower or veggie plants, but they can be the curse for lawns. They damage the grass roots and attract other critters like moles and skunks looking for 'grub'. If you don't mind a pesticide, you can apply one that is grub specific. I usually ignore the grubs.

Old 04-09-01, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool Thanks

My son thought they were Cut Worms. Glad to hear they are not. No problem with grass since my front yard is wood chips and garden mounds. I do not find them were the grass grows since the ground is so hard there. Another question for you:
In my compost pile I have what looks like the same thing but they are 10 times as big. What are these? I only find them there.

Old 04-09-01, 11:54 AM
gini,
I'm sure the larger worms are just the larval stage from another, much larger beetle. They probably won't hurt anything. Good fish bait though!

Old 04-11-01, 06:04 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Gini, The pesticide I use is diazinon. If you don't want to use it try armodillos...LOL...Other than the diazinon these hole digging guys are all that will touch the grubs except the moles...Mike

Old 04-18-01, 05:52 PM
SBower
Visiting Guest
If they are japanese beetle grubs and it souunds like they are, I've had good sucess with a product called milky spore. Its a powder that you put on the lawn in a grid pattern and it stays active for many years (actually gets better as it grows and spreads). I used it lawn and have seen significant improvement in the # of grubs. And my roses are definately looking better! Should be available in your local nursery.

Old 04-19-01, 01:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Is it a natural product? I am not a great gardener but I do want to do what I can to keep the world a bit cleaner and not hurt my kids or any other creature. Other than the harmful ones.^_^

Old 04-19-01, 08:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Milky spore is a natural product - it's a parasite that attacks the grubs, but not people, pets, birds, etc.

While you might not mind the grubs in your garden, I bet you do mind the japanese beetles that they mature into! Also, my lawn is on rock-hard clay, and they are able to live in it. In droves! I discovered this when I dug my garden and it's multiple extensions/additions. The grubs can also attract moles.

I'm getting less and less comfortable with using chemical pesticides. It seems that we are seeing some real problems with their use that we didn't realize before. I believe Diazinon is about to be removed from the market because of this, and other common household ones were also removed recently.

Old 04-19-01, 09:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

leu,

I have the same type of soil. I also read Organic Gardening. It's a great source of information for doing everything organicly. They also talk about what is and isn't being done about pesticides that are harmful to the enviroment. You can also check out their web site at http://www.organicgardening.com.

My neighbor has a ground hog or some type of underground varmit distroying her yard and garden. Now I think I have one in my back yard. I will look for Milky spore and put it EVERYWHERE!!!

Old 04-19-01, 11:56 AM
gini,
The milky-spore should cure the grubs but the larger critter, ground hog, prairie dog, or whatever, will probably not be influenced to leave. It will take considerable more coaxing. Good luck.

Old 04-25-01, 10:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink Milky Spore

When is the best time to put milky spore out? Also, will it affect the fertilizer I put down? (I'm using the Scotts Fertilizer plant)

Thanks.