Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Will gravel over the base of a walnut tree harm it?

Old 03-31-16, 05:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on moving the fence in the picture in towards from where the photo was taken so it on the other side of the concrete pad. I then want to rock the whole area from the privacy fence to the building all the way out to the alley along my property. I plan on using road pack with gravel laid over the top of that for a spare drive. At the point where the concrete pad starts to all around the tree to where the new fence will be I plan to simply put some coarse gravel without the road pack down as a base. I simply want to make sure that doing this won't adversely affect the tree.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link in for a larger picture. Pasteboard-Uploaded Image
Name:  2GIG2XMY.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  34.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-31-16 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 03-31-16, 07:52 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
That tree's roots is going to effect anything around it, that tree and the roots need to go.

Old 04-01-16, 08:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
A layer of gravel will not hurt the trees. Driving over the area compacting the ground or gravel will be harmful to the trees.

Old 04-18-16, 06:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Walnut tree has very strong root system, it can damage concrete and house foundation, some gravel will not damage the tree. However walnut tree can damage your house if planted too close.

Old 05-10-16, 09:49 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
A layer of coarse rock/gravel that lets air and water to the roots will be ok. Can't tell how close your new packed drive is to the tree. I would not come within 10-15 feet of the roots. It seems that 80% of the roots will not be impacted in any way. Right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: