What are these bushes?

Old 05-07-16, 11:21 AM
What are these bushes?

I'm wondering what kind of bushes these are...there are 3 of them pictured here in the front of my house (the ones with the green and yellow leaves...not the evergreen at the far end). They're rather abundant in these parts and they're always covered with leaves.

Name:  20160507_140829.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  50.7 KB

I do typically trim/shape them every few months to make them look decent, I just haven't gotten around to it yet this season as the weather hasn't been all that cooperative particularly as of late.

I can only trim them down so far before bare branches are shown. Ideally, I'd like to really trim them down in size so they're not so big...it's hard for me to reach the hose bib from the grass, and they're just growing out so much. But I'm afraid that if I take them down too far the leaves won't grow back.

Even more ideally would be to just remove them because I don't particularly care for them that much...but given their proximity to my utilities, I'm not too crazy about digging around that area.

Any advice on trimming them down or any other care hints is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-16, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Can't even see the leaves. How about a close up?

Old 05-09-16, 04:47 AM
See if this link works:

https://goo.gl/photos/5dAsWAkNDp1dA8xZA

Should be able to zoom in and get a closer look. Wish we could post larger pictures in posts...

Old 05-09-16, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like Golden Euonymus.

Old 05-09-16, 06:52 AM
Thanks...so can those be hacked down to almost nothing to allow for better future growth control? I realize I may have to wait till the off-season to do so.

They're not the most appealing, IMO, but I feel like I'm stuck with them and just want to know how to best manage them.

Old 05-10-16, 09:22 AM
I would take 2/3 off and leave a foot or two. You can do this now. Fertilize with high nitrogen, water well.....and you will see new growth soon.

Old 05-10-16, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I don't think I'll go quite that low...though I might just to "start over" and have better control, but I was definitely thinking at least halfway.

I was looking at a Google Street View of my house from 2008 (5 years before I bought it) and I could see that those bushes were fairly well trimmed well below the window by at least a foot. Hard to really tell since that older image was a bit fuzzy...but neat to see nonetheless.

Old 05-10-16, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
This is the best time to trim them, so now you have your weekend planned for you.

Old 05-10-16, 12:43 PM
LOL. Well, at least the latter half maybe. Saturday's been booked for a while (girlfriend's cousin's wedding). So unless this rain keeps up around here, maybe Sunday.