Rooting fruit tree cuttings

Old 05-07-16, 02:07 PM
Rooting fruit tree cuttings

hi everyone,decided this year to try and grow my own fruit trees from some trees I have already,cut some cuttings from from my peach, pear and blueberry's,i trimmed a little bark off bottom of each one put some hormone rooting powder on them and put them in 2 liter bottles I cut to get cuttings in then taped them closed with potting soil that was april 16th, problem is I'm getting like white fuzzy stuff on them,"except blueberry's" does this mean cuttings died or is this normal and how can I tell if roots are actually growing without pulling them out of soil.i've never done this before so ANY help would be great. thanks jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-16, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
I would not give up at this point as there is not much you can do. Rooting woody plants takes longer than "soft" plants.

Taking cuttings from fruit trees is often a crap shoot. Many are grafted and grafted for a reason. Cuttings only contain the traits of the top stock and none of the root stock so you may not end up with what you expect.

Old 05-08-16, 03:57 PM
thanks,just doing this as a little hobby to see if I could it,i read a little bit about,i must of misunderstood some of what I read,i thought the cuttings would be a clone of the tree I took them off.ooooops. guess i'll wait and see what happens. I guess that's why some of the farmers I talked to about it told me don't waste my time just go buy some small trees in the fall when they go on sale. thanks again.

Old 05-08-16, 05:06 PM
Cute story about cuttings. Wife went to a forest products presentation of some sort and they selling rooted cuttings at $2 a dozen. She picked up a mix of 12 and brought them home. Well, she wasn't geting around to planting them and I didn't have time so I went out back and loosened up a couple of shovels full of soil and healed them in. Well, we of course forgot about them until years later I looked out back and recognized a Norway pine about 8' tall. Upon inspection there were about 6 different trees coming up from that one spot. Today the Norway is over 20' and when the orange berry clusters from another tree come on it looks like Christmas. No way to transplant them, but if I had my doubts about cuttings at the time, no more.

Bud

Old 05-09-16, 11:57 AM
guess you never know,i will let you guys know how I make out,it may help someone down the road.

Old 05-11-16, 11:43 AM
Hi jimbmc,
Just found your post on rooting fruit tree cuttings... I tried growing apple, peach and pear trees when I first moved to new home but the only thing that survived was a Pear tree. Last year we got 26 pears of varying sizes from the tree and it's over 20 ft. tall now.
Anyway, to your topic - I did have better luck with nut trees and am trying to root limb cuttings from Chinese Chestnut, Northern Hican (cross between a hickory & pecan) and Hazelnuts.

Two things are different in our attempts - first I am setting my Feb/Mar cuttings in water rather than in potting soil and second, I finally read the directions on the bottle of growth hormone powder and what I have indicated that you should apply the growth hormone where a new bud is coming out. Last year I did what you did, apply it to the fresh cut on the end of the cutting.

Good luck - looking forward to hear if you were able to get roots going.
greynold99

Old 05-11-16, 12:04 PM
thanks, I sure will let you know how I make out,not sure how to check if I'm getting roots,i'll wait another week or two and maybe pull one out of soil and see.

Old 05-16-16, 07:38 AM
Hi jimbmc,
You'll actually see the roots growing from the end of the limb - which with red-twig dogwood and hybrid poplar tree cuttings, I've actually done and have been successful in growing the shrub and trees from. These were started in buckets filled with water and then transferred to protected, semi-shade areas where the ground stays damp even in the hottest parts of Summer.
If you left your cuttings in a pot, you should be able to loosen the limb cutting from the surround potting soil. With fruit trees though I'd give it a full 8 weeks before checking and then carefully replace the potting soil or transplant to a protected, well watered site to allow them time to develop. You should be able to transplant to permanent location in the Fall.

So far none of my hazelnut or hican tree cuttings have started roots but it's still early for my cuttings. All the cuttings still have their leaves so that's hopeful.
I did get a dozen or so hazelnuts to grow from the nut since I last checked in here but no chestnuts this year. It's funny how I'll get a lot of chestnuts to grow from the nut in one year but none the next.
Check with you later,
greynold99

Old 05-16-16, 11:50 AM
thanks, its been about 4 weeks now,i'll let them go another 3-4 weeks then i'll check for roots, can't say there are any leaves left, cuttings actually do not look good right now,i'm still getting the white fuzzy stuff on them, what I've read about that it's what they call barking,not sure if this is a bad sign or not. guess i'll wait and see.i know what your saying that one year is better then the other,my apple trees seem to do that one year there are tons of apples the next not so hot. thanks again and keep in touch jim

Old 05-20-16, 07:15 AM
Forgot to mention some observations I have with propagating red-twig dogwood & hybrid poplar from cuttings.
First, it seemed if the leaves died completely before the roots started sprouting from the cut end, then there was no energy to support the root growth and in general the limb was dead at that point;
Second, the earlier these cuttings were started immediately after the last hard winter freezes, the better. Curiously, with the Red Twig Dogwood, I could take trimmings from a late-November/December pruning and start them even after they had laid out all winter - but usually I try to stick them into a shaded area where I have a water spring - ground is always damp there.
Once you got into June/July it became too hot for the continued survival of the cuttings even if the buckets they were in were shaded in the afternoon.

So far my Hican limb cuttings have kept their leaves but the Hazelnut cuttings appear to be losing their leaves.
greynold99

Old 06-01-16, 11:51 AM
just an update, the blueberry plants seem to be coming to life,they are sprouting new leaves and stems turning green, must be getting roots, not positive still didn't pull them out and check, pear and peach cuttings still look pretty bad though.

Old 06-06-16, 08:54 AM
Nut tree cuttings mostly failed

jimbmc,

Most of my nut tree limb cuttings have died except, strangely enough the 4 ft. Northern Pecan (Hickan) limb that I cut off two 2 ft pieces to wrap a bandage of growth hormone, rooting powder on.
I just put the bare limb in as well not expecting it to anything and surprising it started growing new leaves - understand this was a larger limb growing out of the base of the parent tree.
The two smaller limbs I cut to use the growth hormone on have died but the older limb sprouted new growth - not sure about roots yet but will check tonight.
greynold99

Old 06-06-16, 11:47 AM
guess we just have to keep trying,looks like one of my blueberry stems is going backwards, but on the other hand looks like 2 of the pear cuttings look to be turning green, peach ones still look bad. will wait and see,might try some new cuttings in a couple inches of water for 10-12 days I was reading where this works also, who knows i'll try different ways and see what works best. will keep in touch

Old 06-06-16, 11:52 AM
greynold where about's in pa are you, I just noticed your in pa, you can pm if you want

Old 06-08-16, 08:43 AM
Looks like there might be the nub of a new root on that larger Hican limb starting... New leaf growth is continuing and the cooler/rainy-ier weather helps not stressing the starting growth too much. I suspect if we had the normal 80-90 degree weather we usually get in June, everything would've died.
It may be too late to try but I have some new growth near the base of the parent Pear tree that I may try to start from cuttings. The second set of pears we got from that tree last year (about 26) were very sweet and so far the 17 yr cicadas haven't hurt too many of the pear tree limbs by egg laying.

Old 06-08-16, 11:52 AM
are the cicadas supposed to be around this year, do you spray your trees,

Old 06-13-16, 07:22 AM
jimbmc,

We've had the cicadas around for 3 weeks now and they should be coming out in your area fairly soon if not already. We should be done with them in another 2 weeks as I understand.
No, I don't spray my trees and in fact the only one I'm concerned about is that Pear tree that just really started producing fruit last year - I was expecting to get a bushel basket of pears this year but the die-back from the cicadas may change those expectations.
I have gone and taken a 15 ft. pole and knocked as many off the Pear tree each evening to keep the egg laying down as much as possible and some people have covered their trees with netting you can buy at Walmart for this. Seems to help but nothing stops them completely.
The cicadas seem to prefer the new growth leaves and we see a lot of leaf clusters w/stem attached after they hit a tree particularly hard.
This is due to the way the female deposits her eggs with her stinger-like ovipositor, I'm guessing. I don't think they eat at all during this time as their sole task now is reproducing.

The bigger villain in our area is the Emerald Ash Borer - almost all of my Ash trees are dead or dying and most were fine last year. I noticed earlier when none of them were starting to leaf long after they usually do and because some are near my power line right-of-way I called the Utility Forester who said they can't keep up with the dead Ash trees... He said he may see me in December and there will be no clean-up - Only felling the trees and moving on.

greynold99

Old 06-13-16, 11:59 AM
thanks, as of today no cicadas yet, i'm sure they're on the way though,as for the ash borers I just heard the other day that they have found them in the county next to mine, right now my ash trees are healthy, but I'm sure that will change shortly, I might just start cutting them down this winter and use them for grilling or in my smoker.

Old 07-11-16, 10:41 AM
Over a month now and the mature hican cutting limb still has its new leaf growth... I re-applied growth hormone to the base of the cutting and it looked like white-nubs of root were starting there. My hazelnut and chestnut trees started from seed nuts are doing well since I put them on top of a dog house where they're protected from the chipmunks/mice who want to dig up the dirt in the pots to get to the nut remnants that didn't germinate.
Looks like I may be onto something as far as the hican or nut tree propagation is concerned - in that I had always thought the younger the limb shoot the better for propagation but that is apparently not the case. This shoot had been growing out of the base of the adult tree for about 3 years and was over 4 ft. high when I cut it for propagation this Spring. What I have growing is about 2 1/2 ft of the original limb - less the length of the 2 pieces I cut off initially - thinking they would root better than the older part of the cut shoot.

Old 07-15-16, 03:59 PM
glad your having some luck, can't say I am, I had none of my cuttings survive,must be doing something wrong,"might of been to much water, when I dumped them out the soil was almost like mud" i'm going to try different methods and see if I can get something going, oh well back to the drawing board.i will keep you update as I hope you will let me know how your's are doing.

Old 07-17-16, 07:45 AM
Cuttings might root if......you use a heating mat under your flat or pots.

Old 07-19-16, 07:17 AM
maybe i'll give the mat a shot, do you think this is a good time of year to try it or should I wait until fall-early winter. thanks

Old 07-19-16, 07:58 AM
Hican still appears to be growing...

jimbmc,

My hican limb is keeping its leaves and appears to have buds for more beginning. I did move it to a completely shaded area on the inside corner of our home since the Summer has gotten so warm through most of the day.
Contrary to your thought about too much water - mine is completely in water, with only a little soil and coffee grounds mixed in. I found mixing in coffee grounds in the soil of other plants improves the soil as well as provides a good home for earthworms.
As far as starting new cuttings now, it may or may not be the best time given the summer heat. Maybe wait till mid-August or early September when the days are a little less hot. I've decided to wait to try the Pear shoots growing at the base of the tree until next Spring - that's when I think whatever it is that triggers new Spring growth might provide the best shot at success.
Even with the cicada damage, looks like I'm going to get maybe a bushel basket of pears off the tree. I was wondering if I should thin out the fruit a little since that give the remaining pears the most nutrients for growth.
Right now, I have (4) Butternut trees, (6) Chestnut trees and an equal number of Hazelnut trees I'll need to transplant in the Fall. If the Hican cutting roots sufficiently, I'll transplant to a large pot and keep it inside for the Winter under a Gro-Lite.
Keep us posted on your progress.
greynold99

Old 07-21-16, 12:21 PM
i'll wait until sept. and try a couple cuttings, might be a dumb ? but do you use fresh or used coffee grinds, or does it matter.we didn't get hit with the cicadas I did read where they were spotty for a reason that I sort of forget.right now I have 3 cherry trees, 1 peach,1 pear, 1 plum, 1 plumcot, 3 apple, a bunch of maples I tap for syrup,grape vines.i do have a chestnut but I think it's one of those Chinese i'm not sure it was here when I bought the property.i will keep you guys updated on my progress.mean while keep the ideas coming on rooting the cuttings. thanks

Old 08-01-16, 09:05 AM
Update 8/1/2016

I collect the used coffee grounds in a old coffee container and when filled, I go around to trees, shrubs and plants that look like they might need a little soil improvement - I give them a shot. With smaller shrubs I'll throw a handful or two around the base and with a larger tree I'll dump the whole container around the base for a foot or so out.
Every few days I change the water in the bucket where I have my Hican limb - mostly to keep the mosquito population down.
I noticed over the weekend where I cut that limb off on the parent tree, there's a new limb sprout coming up - but my other Hican or Northern Pecan doesn't sprout growth at the base. You need two trees for Hican/Pecans for fertilization or so I read when I got them.
Your Chestnut tree is likely of the Chinese variety as American Chestnut only grow so long before the Blight kills them. I've seen where they've been able to create a Chinese/American Chestnut hybrid tree that has the Blight resistance of the Chinese and the taller, wider canopy of the American Chestnut.
If you do try limb rooting in the Fall, be sure to take the containers in for the coldest part of winter; I keep mine in the basement usually with other plants under a 50Watt Gro light. They'll probably hibernate most of winter with lack of sunshine & cool temps but should show signs of growth in the Spring after it warms up.
Good luck

Old 08-08-16, 12:52 PM
Here's a link to ThisOldHouse.com describing 10 Uses for used Coffee grounds - the two I knew about were for soil acidification and improvement.

10 Uses for Coffee Grounds | This Old House

Old 08-22-16, 11:46 AM
thanks, I'm going to try it again in a week or two and see what happens,i will keep you up to date on my progress, thanks again, should I keep them in a shaded area f or let them get some sun since temps are starting to cool off a bit

Old 08-22-16, 01:33 PM
I'd say just Morning sun with light sun or shaded in the afternoon.
We still get some hot days this part of summer.

I finally made it down to where I transplanted my Butternut trees and found that I had lost all 6.
They had gotten grown over with weeds but I couldn't tell if they had gotten baked from too little water or drowned with too much... This area experienced both extremes this summer.
Fortunately, I held 3 back and still have them - just need to find a good place to plant them since they'll be a fairly large tree.

Good luck,
greynold99
greynold99

Old 08-30-16, 05:58 AM
Thought I was going to get a lot of Pears this year since I had been counting up to 30 or so hanging on the tree. I've noticed since the die off of smaller branches from the cicada damage that the tree dropped about 8 smaller fruit but that the number of pears still on the tree had shrunk considerably... Been noticing a squirrel hanging around but he'd usually just gnaw a little of the pear he knocked off the tree and leave the rest. The bulk of the missing pears, I've never seen anything on the ground - wonder if he's taking them for storage.
Looks like I might get 6 pears this year from my original optimistic forecast.
greynold99

Old 08-31-16, 11:44 AM
Found only 2 pears remaining on the tree, so I knocked them off to ripen inside. Later, while mowing with the lawn tractor, I found a partially eaten pear - the only remnants I've seen since counting the last 8 pears. There was just a sliver of the pear missing going from top to bottom with no discernible teeth marks and I couldn't say they were 'beak' marks either. Those larger pears were fairly heavy and it's real strange no bits or pieces were found. I'm just wondering if it was a squirrel or something else.
greynold99

Old 09-01-16, 11:45 AM
Thinking about that pear I found on the ground while mowing and finding absolutely nothing remaining from the 6 other pears that had been there the night before, I came to the realization that whatever creature knocked down the other pears and carried them away - simply did not find the one I hit once with the mower. So, I'm guessing what ate that part of the pear was probably a mouse or mole that found it in the grass.
greynold99