Thoughts on alternatives to mulch

Old 06-28-16, 09:59 AM
Thoughts on alternatives to mulch

So I have my flower beds surrounded with a thinner flower bed border. Kind of like this picture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67819[/ATTACH]
Though I'm currently using a two-tone approach to the colors. Dark colored mulch in the larger back bed and bright white rock in the skinny border bed. I like the look. Unfortunately, it's a little slice of hell to keep pretty. Hundreds and hundreds of bits of mulch end up in the white rocks each week and both areas get filled with small leaves from the surrounding trees. I'd like to replace this mulch with something more heavy weight. While the weight will help keep everything where it should, I'd love to just be able to hit the whole thing with a leaf blower once a week (no delicate flowers in there, just shrubs). Doing this now, of course, blows the mulch everywhere.

Thoughts?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-16, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The easiest solution I see is to replace the mulch with rock. Some blowers will blow rock around as well but some of them aren't quite powerful enough to do so.

Old 06-28-16, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and you can get rock in different sizes and colors.

Old 06-28-16, 11:58 AM
I guess I'm just worried about an insane amount of weed growth when switching from mulch to large rocks (maybe just smaller than a baseball). ?? I've got a weedbarrier under the mulch now and weeds grow right through it!

Old 06-28-16, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
I like a barrier between mulch or rocks and the soil to keep the soil from getting into the rocks or mulch but nothing really stops weeds long term; one must apply herbicides or pick the weeds when they appear.