Metal quick connector set for garden hose

Old 08-08-16, 05:18 AM
Metal quick connector set for garden hose

I bought this set last week because I wanted something where I can remove/insert the nozzle quickly.

Shop Yardsmith Yardsmith Metal Quick Connector Set at Lowes.com

I snapped it on and after 5 minutes of leaving the water on, the nozzle shot off and flew across the yard. It was loud, sounded almost like a gun shot. Water spilled every where.

Anyway, not sure if the water pressure was set too high but be careful if you use something like this. Most likely, I am going to return it.

It brings to a point that if the water pressure is too high, I should have it regulated. Otherwise, it is not good for the pipe system in the house right?

Is there a way to lower the water pressure or do I have to call a plumber to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-16, 05:25 AM
Far more likely you did not have it snapped on all the way.

Old 08-08-16, 05:43 AM
It does take a little effort to snap it in but I actually did snap it all the way in because I heard the "click" Joe.

I think that unit needs 4 ball bearings, instead of 3 ball bearings.

Old 08-08-16, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
You can screw a pressure gauge onto a hose bib to see your home's water pressure if you don't already have a gauge. You should check it at different times of day as municipal water pressure can vary. If you do have excessive water pressure a pressure reducing valve (PRV) can be installed where the main water line enters your house.

Old 08-08-16, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pressure gauge that screws into a hose bib isn't expensive, I think I paid $10-12 for mine. Mine also has an extra needle that records the highest pressure so if the water pressure spikes when you aren't looking you'll know it.

For the most part I believe you/me are better off without those quick disconnects for water hoses.

Old 08-13-16, 03:36 AM
Thanks Pilot Dane and MarkSR. I returned the quick connects. I have not purchased the pressure gauge yet but will update once I get it.

I also returned the hose repair mender. That too would just blow right off the hose.
Melnor Male Repair Mender-ZBM3/4 - The Home Depot

This one is holding up to the pressure:
Orbit 5/8 in. Metal Male Mender-27980 - The Home Depot

Old 08-13-16, 06:20 AM
I've used those quick dis-connects of all sorts, plastic,and metal. They just don't last. Can't be bothered with them any more. And each brand is not interchangeable. I now have a shut-off valve at the end of my hose and I just screw on a new nozzle as needed.

Old 08-13-16, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had several of those shut off valves at the end of the hose and really like them. The best one I had was all brass but it disappeared current one is mostly plastic, not as nice but still handy!