Tree wound sealer.....yes or no ?

Old 08-15-16, 08:34 PM
Tree wound sealer.....yes or no ?

Large peach tree limb came down from main trunk. 6" x 6" x 2" deep hole in trunk.

It used to be tree sealer was good. Now, I read...not so good.

What would some of our members do ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-16, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This time of year, the trees sap is running, so if you didn't give it a bandage, it could possibly "bleed" to death. Others may disagree, but I think you did right in patching it. I also use a tree bandage to help keep it all together. It expands and will eventually tear away once the tree has grown enough. Where and what did you read regarding not doing it?

Old 08-16-16, 06:04 AM
When we bought our current home in the woods, I hired an arborist to evaluate the trees and recommend which ones we should keep, which were dangerous or diseased, etc.

He recommended never using any kind of filler in tree scars or dressing for limb cuts etc. He claimed dressings and such just trap water and can lead to rot.

He showed me how to prune by making a clean cut on the bottom of limbs first so the bark doesn't tear. He said if there is a deep wound in a tree, say from a fallen limb, that rather than fill it with something one should make a vee shaped relief cut so that water won't be trapped in the wound, leading to rot and disease.

Old 08-16-16, 03:19 PM
chandler.....Have not patched it. No sap is running. Not patching ... leaves wound open and disease will not be trapped and multiply underneath a patch.

Old 08-17-16, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a plan. Here in the South, if you leave a wound open, it will be infested with different type "bugs" that will bore into the new wood which contains the sweet sap. It doesn't take long for the tree to become adversely affected by it. The patching usually peels away as the tree heals itself.

Old 08-17-16, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
I'm another vote for not filling. Trees in the forest have survived for millions of years without our help.