Need help for shady yard....

Old 04-20-01, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a huge pine tree in my front yard. The ground beneath it is shaded completely from the sun, and when it rains, it usually remains dry! This tree is pretty much the first thing that people see when coming to my house, and I have been searching for the perfect ground cover / plant to make it look appealing. The tree roots are weblike, and very close to the surface of the ground, which makes digging and planting almost impossible. Help!

Old 04-21-01, 09:19 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ground cover under pine tree

Pachysandra is about the only ground cover that tends to thrive under pine trees. You can transform an otherwise unsightly, bare area to year round beauty with this evergreen ground cover.

Old 04-27-01, 03:21 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Plants under pine trees-

I have some ajuga in the area of a pine and they are doing well and blooming right now, which have purple upright blooms!) I am in Zone 5. I am wondering how bleeding heart will do around the pines? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Old 04-27-01, 03:30 PM
Visiting Guest
We had bleeding hearts under our pine trees in the house I grew up in in zone 6. Worked very well, and they were quite stunning. They don't spread like Ajuga or Pachysandra, but they do self seed a little, and you can plant a number of them to make somewhat of a ground cover.

Old 04-27-01, 03:30 PM
zone7
Visiting Guest
shade and pines

i have vinca growing under one of my pines. i have planted coral bells and they are also coming up well. i have considered royal heritage lenten rose. they are supposed to take a yr or two to become established, but i read they do well even in clay, and are low-maintenence. i have alot of lirirope that is doing well also. all i have to do is cut the lirirope(lilyturf) back each spring before it blooms. i suggest a weed whacker! the one bleedind heart that i have planted is also coming up ok. look for plants that like slightly acidic soil. the pine needles that arent raked up, and are allowed to decompose on top of your soil will make it acidic. very good mulch for acid loving azaleas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: