Pruning a Redbud tree

Old 09-12-16, 06:42 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Question Pruning a Redbud tree

I had some folks over a couple months back to remove a dead tree on my property, and while doing so they made an offhand comment about "fixing" the downward-facing branches on a 6-year-old redbud in the front yard.

It's a little hard to tell from the pic (attached) but it's well-established, healthy, and about 9' tall. There are a handful of branches going almost straight down, with a few coming within a couple inches of the ground, and that's what they was talking about.

I've attempted some research but am not finding much in the way of concrete answers, so I'm looking for more opinions, not being familiar with this topic at all. Is it okay and/or healthy for the tree to remove those branches? If so, what's the best way to do it and how many up should I be removing?

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate any help.

Name:  redbud.jpg
Views: 2573
Size:  50.5 KB

Old 09-13-16, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Redbud are extremely hardy so don't worry about hurting the tree. Go ahead and trim it for the aesthetic you want. If you want to be a bit of an arborist read up on general pruning good practices like removing water sprouts, shallow "Y" diversions from the main trunk and crossing branches.

I have one that I pruned to be a lollipop topiary. A long straight trunk with no branches then at the top the foliage is pruned to be a sphere. When pruning almost no thought is given to the tree. I just cut off whatever to make it the shape I want.

Redbud grow wild on my property. I prune & cut any time of the year. I've heavily pruned them mid summer during a hard drought and they survive just fine. I've even cut them down... meaning chainsaw flush with the ground and they still come back. So prune all you want.

Old 09-13-16, 05:55 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Perfect, thank you so much Pilot Dane! That puts my mind at ease. I read up some on what you mentioned last night after posting and am already feeling a bit more confident.

and that's what they was talking about.
Ugh... I didn't catch that typo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: