Onions

Old 04-24-01, 01:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I have recently moved to a suburb in Dallas, Texas. Several times while mowing the back yard my fiance' and I have noticed a onion oder. We finaly discovered the plant. What we need to know is what kind of onion it is. It has medium to dark green shoots that are growing out of the ground. On the end of the medium green shoots there is what appears to be buds that look like several tiny onions grouped together. They are a whiteish green in color. Very small, but with a onion smell. I would like to kep these plants but I need to know what type of onion they are and how to care for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

HumanExpressions

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-01, 10:58 AM
Plant identification

Take a sample to your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for identification.

Old 04-29-01, 02:58 PM
HumanExpressions,
What you have found are probably wild onions, especially if they were found in a mowed area. They are the scourge of the pasture for the dairy farmer, makes the milk taste really bad. If they are in tiny little clumps that remind one of chives, you don't want to keep them. They're just another bothersome weed.