Seeds

Old 04-27-01, 08:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes when buying seeds I notice that on most of them it says that in order to germinate the seeding should be covered with glass. Is this glass used to warm up the soil or to keep the soil moist. Can you help?

ROBERT

Old 04-27-01, 04:35 PM
Visiting Guest
It is used to help keep the top of the soil moist. This is especially important with small seeds that can't be covered up a lot. Once they germinate, though, be sure to open the glass a crack to eliminate condensation. If you don't, a condition called "damping off" can occur, whereby your young seedlings rot right at the soil line and they keel over and die. You can keep the glass on to increase humidity as long as it is open a little bit so droplets aren't collecting.

Warm soils help seeds germinate faster, too, but the glass isn't usually used for this. An under soil heating mat can be used, but most people do without.

Old 05-08-01, 01:02 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Robert,

Leu is right! Damping off can occur, and I've had it happen to me numerous times and almost gave up on starting seeds until I learned that you can buy a soilless potting mix just for starting plants. Since then, I've never had that problem. Your nurseries will have it.

Once your plants appear, remove the glass or any covering over them.

Gami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: